Re: [ba-ohs-talk] bootstrap list message content & purple numbers

OK,    (01)

Here's my initial stab at that. I think we have enough data gathered from
the messages themselves, and the backlink data, to enable us to create a
first attempt at an OHS that will solve this purple numbering issue in many
(most?) cases. (And we can perfect this as we go.)    (02)

Stage One:
Put all messages that don't contain quoted passages into a database.
Messages are split into their constituent paragraphs. The tables relate a
message ID to a set of paragraph #s in tuples with the text they refer to.
The paragraph #s (whatever we decide they should be) may go to form purple
numbering (in whatever form that takes in the end), or maybe purple #s
should be kept separate and act as Lee Iverson suggests.
message ID <-> para #s
para# <-> text <-> purple #.    (03)

Stage Two:
Using the message metadata work out the chains of messages that follow on
from a particular unquoted message and contain only one level of quoting.
Split these into the paragraphs that would be entered into database as per
Stage One, but then test quoted passages against data in the DB for the root
message, and if there's a match, insert a reference to the chunk from the
original message in the DB at the appropriate para #.    (04)

Stage Three:
Repeat Stage Two for messages that are further down the quoting chain using
the DB data again to track the quotings.    (05)

This would give paragraphs uniqueness within the system.    (06)

What think ye?
--
Cheers
Peter    (07)