[ba-ohs-talk] Online Community Technologies and Concepts

A good essay by Cameron Barrett.  Provides some answers to Eric Armsrong's
"Recommendations" post
http://www.bootstrap.org/dkr/discussion/3321.html    (01)

--Alex    (02)

http://www.camworld.com/essays/communities.html    (03)

Published: 12.19.01
by Cameron Barrett
"In a recent email conversation between Louis Rosenfeld and myself, I put
down a lot of my thoughts about online communities. I wrote specifically
about reputation management, collaborative filtering, mailing list
management, content management systems, and distributed categorization and
indexing efforts. Believe it or not all of these things are related.
The concept of an online community is very broad. It can be anything from a
small close-knit group of people who email each other about a mutual hobby
to a mailing list or Web site with thousands and thousands of users. There
are thousands of these communities scattered across the Web, covering far
too many topics to even attempt to list. Online communities are one of
those subjects that encompasses a very wide spectrum of concepts. I'll try
to break out a few areas that I have examples for."    (04)