Re: [ba-ohs-talk] Bill Joy and P2P

You should know that Pepper, the distributed Personal Knowledge
Management tool recently discussed on this list, has a JXTA component
to it, and we (R-Objects) are fairly active in the JXTA community
because of that.    (01)

One of the things that we use JXTA for is location-independent
addressing for collaboration purposes, and our next beta is going to
incorporate some of this. One of the interesting use cases goes like
this:    (02)

1) I traverse my Personal Knowledge Network, and because its elements
(we call them Peppercorns) are related to Peppercorns from your
Personal Knowledge Network, I happen to come across one of your
Peppercorns.    (03)

2) I have a question about your Peppercorn, or something sparks my
interest -- whatever -- I'd like to talk to you.    (04)

3) my instance of Pepper "talks to JXTA" and says "I'd like to open
up an instant messaging channel to the owner of this Peppercorn".
JXTA takes care of routing, and -- once all parts of this are
implemented -- finds you in Japan in the back of a taxi, with only a
cell phone, but starts a chat session with you. As we chat, you
arrive are the branch office you were going to, and one of the people
there gives you access to a PC. The chat connection automatically
transfers over to the PC, without me noticing.    (05)

Cheers,    (06)

Johannes Ernst
R-Objects Inc.    (07)