Re: [ba-ohs-talk] Art, Culture Enable a Culture of Knowledge

Rod.    (01)

Just quick and dirty, subject to modulation on my part later on, the book attacks some basic
facts about intelligence "known to all members of the intelligence research community" such
as "positive manifold" of corrrelations among test scores (subjects rank roughly the same on
different batteries of cognitive tests) which suggests a common source of intelligence
underlying various intellectual efforts and that correlations exist between a statistical
construct known as "g" (general intelligence) and accomplishments in academe and society.
Furthermore that studies suggest that "g" is genetic.    (02)

Those facts justify the use of testing as predictor of academic accomplishments and,
consequently, to a large degree slotting people for life. Ceci attacks especially the
cognitive and genetic implications of psychometrically defined "g" and suggests believers in
the current practice of psychometry may be putting the cart before the horse. In his words,
"persons with low IQ [an artifice parading as measure!] may have the cognitive architecture
needed to appreciate advanced mathematics, language, and science, but they lack the relevant
background experience [bioecology]." In other words [mine], there is more nurture going into
"g" than psychometrists are willing to admit. A SAT score, for example, can become an
intellectual prison. People are sorted like one sorts raw materials for a manufacturing
process - the school.    (03)

Personally, I have been subjected to fairly severe psychological mistreatment, not
intentionally, just out of ignorance. (Otherwise I was well cared for.) This has ruined my
youth and put me intellectually behind during an important growing period. In the end, I have
done quite well in life (in fact, I have had three fairly satisfying careers in the
intellectual domain - a short one in radio, a longer one in the paper industry and
publishing, and a quarter of a century in education), but it has been a psychologically
lonely, uphill fight - lonely because of personal divergence from mainstream paradigms. (I
understand Doug very well when he talks about being up against paradigms.) I know myself to
be no exception. I imagine the problem is widespread, but not very visible because victims
adjust to their environments. But such a life does take its toll, on the person and, as one
eventually learns, even on those in his environment.    (04)

As a teacher  in an inner-city college, I was sensitive to the gap between middle-class
teaching staff and kids from disadvantaged backgrounds. But it was hard to verbalize this
effectively among colleagues because of run-of-the-mill attitudes and procedures. I should
think this is the basis for a lot of frustration and non-normative behavior and that much of
the notion of genetic inheritance should be replaced by a better understanding of cultural
inheritance. Unfortunately, no well-meaning treatise will substitute for experience. My worst
experience was a black, unmarried mother who went back to school and was in my chemistry
class. She had a 13-year-old daughter. I knew she was not prepared to make it in college and
pondered the effect of the regard the child would have for her mother. Unqualified students
were admitted to satisfy a government-set student-teacher ratio and the savings of teaching
jobs. In the balance were the good of preserving jobs (i.e. feeding mouths of staff's
offspring) and psychologically maming students. Preparatory courses were introduced to take
in the lesser prepared, but overlooked was that teachers were not prepared to conduct them.
Then teachers were put under pressure to make students succeed, i.e. standards were subtly
lowered. The pressure used was teacher evaluation questionnaires filled out by students. For
a story that came from this environment, see http://www.fleabyte.org/flb-6.html    (05)

I see Ceci's work as a successor to Gould's "The Mismeasure of Man," which is a history and
condemnation of putting numbers to people.    (06)

Henry    (07)

Rod Welch wrote:    (08)