Re: [ba-ohs-talk] Fwd: Linux at Sun: The Big Push

Apple does have a great OS, the core of which is Darwin, an open-source
version of BSD Unix. This is bringing back many people, especially
developers (myself included) to using MacOS X as the ultimate client
operating system (wonderful GUI, many end-user and developer
applications, and a deep, elegant Unix back end). It is with relief and
a sense of liberation that I can transition from using Windows
9X/NT/2000.    (01)

I think MacOS X works in the client workstation space. If you're a
developer, it's the best thing going for developing server-based apps,
servlets, web services, etc, as well as client apps. You can deploy
server-based apps on MacOS X or other flavors of Unix (eg, Linux,
Solaris, BSD). Linux and Solaris are still great contenders in the
server space. MacOS X and Apple have a ways to go to providing a
complete server solution (rackmount, RAID, backups, etc). OS X is a
serious contender for the desktop/laptop market (this is being written
on a crisp, clean iBook); as such it competes with MS Windows. With the
death of Eazel a year ago, Gnu/ Linux was dealt a serious blow as a
desktop platform. Could still happen eventually, but meanwhile...    (02)

Best,
Mark    (03)

On Tuesday, February 19, 2002, at 02:20 PM, Jack Park wrote:    (04)