[ba-ohs-talk] mockup of a backlink tool

I extracted some backlinks from this mailing list's backlink database to
put together a proof-of-concept mockup of a tool that might use the
backlink database:    (01)

  http://www.eekim.com/software/tpvortex/backlinkdemo.html    (02)

Except for the form in the upper right, this is a working demo.  The left
pane shows the URL you are viewing.  The upper right pane lists all of the
backlinks to that URL.  If you click on one of those backlinks, the
document linking to the URL is displayed in the lower right pane.  This
demo looks okay on 1024x768, and not so great on 800x600.    (03)

As a sidenote, look closely at the dates of the backlinks.  This
particular URL was mentioned in two separate threads on ba-ohs-talk: first
by Jack on November 22, and second by me three weeks later!  Shame on me,
right?!  The backlink data serves as a measure of the group's collective
memory (which in this particular case, was poor).    (04)

One of these days, as an experiment, I'm going to run mhpurple on the
unrev-ii archives (which spans two years worth of discussions) to see how
often the same URL was sent to the list as if it were a new discovery.
I'll start taking wagers right now on how often it occurred. :-)    (05)

-Eugene    (06)

--
+=== Eugene Eric Kim ===== eekim@eekim.com ===== http://www.eekim.com/ ===+
|       "Writer's block is a fancy term made up by whiners so they        |