Re: [ba-ohs-talk] new backlink metadata; mhpurple v0.2 released

On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, Rod Welch wrote:    (01)

> Great news and congratulations on progress with mpurple, reported in your three
> (3) letters today (one shown below).  This might contribute to Lee Iverson's new
> assignment where he is working on the OHS/DKR using his stunning development of
> NODAL.  Does this milestone today make progress on Doug Engelbart's request in
> his letter on 001025 asking about addressability and linking communications to
> the Launch Plan and other stuff....
>
> http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/10/25/095632.HTM#L921502    (02)

Yes, it does address Doug's desire to have addressability in e-mail.
Note that we have had this capability since the formation of these new
mailing lists in November:    (03)

http://www.bootstrap.org/lists/ba-ohs-talk/0111/msg00011.html    (04)

> ..., which has held things up for awhile?  Does it help people feel comfortable
> working on knowledge support, also a sticking point since 000120, again on
> 000503 and in the meeting at SRI on 010608....
>
> http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/01/06/05/150032.HTM#RU5O    (05)

I'm not sure what your question has to do with purple numbers, so you'll
have to clarify.  I will note that your records need correction.  You
state, "Eugene explained the OHS/DKR project has stepped away from
thinking about knowledge, reported on 000615."  I most certainly never
made that claim, especially considering that it is not true and that I
never had the authority to make such a statement.    (06)

> How does your announcement today relate to planning on 001126 for using IT and
> greater diligence to perform KM?  Does mpurple make it faster and easier to do
> some aspect of KM, which worried Grant Bowman at that time.....
>
> http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/11/26/214933.HTM#B15I    (07)

You tell me.  Do you think purple numbers make it faster and easier to do
"some aspect of KM"?    (08)

> Can mpurple be incorporated into Nexist and NODAL in some manner to advance work
> on the DKR for solving world problems, as planned on 000120?  Can you provide
> and illustration or scenario on how mpurple would help solve a world problem?    (09)

Do you think mhpurple should be incorporated into Nexist and NODAL?    (010)

As for your second question, here's a scenario.  Studies have shown that
the vast majority of web sites rely primarily on the colors black and
white.  This is clearly a problem of global proportions.  If we could only
get everyone in the world to use mhpurple, we could overcome the dreary
monotone nature of these web sites with a refreshing dollop of purple.
Nations would rejoice.  Babies would stop crying.  World hunger would end.    (011)

I cannot claim prior art, unfortunately.  Apple was one of the first
companies to recognize the overwhelming demand for the color purple, with
the introduction of its "grape" iMac.  Most recently, Heinz has jumped on
the bandwagon, and is now the world's leading producer of purple ketchup.    (012)

Or, is this not the kind of scenario you're looking for?    (013)

> I am sure Doug is excited to see things moving ahead, especially in light of
> recent banter about open source.  When will mpurple begin improving email, which
> Doug asked about on 000405?  Is that a future release, or is there a way to use
> mpurple for this now?  A couple examples would help.    (014)

As noted above, we have been using mhpurple since November.  The posting
above includes an example, and I have used the purple numbers on numerous
occasions in other postings to this list.    (015)

-Eugene    (016)

--
+=== Eugene Eric Kim ===== eekim@eekim.com ===== http://www.eekim.com/ ===+
|       "Writer's block is a fancy term made up by whiners so they        |