Re: [ba-ohs-talk] (not) eating your own dogfood

Eric Armstrong wrote:    (01)

> Murray Altheim wrote:
>
>>I challenge anyone to export "HTML" from MS Word and look at what it
>>creates. Amazing.
>
> I use MS Word to wordcount my HTML articles. I once spent an hour
> cleaning out the crap it creates after accidentally saving the article after
> reading into Word. I can attest that it produces a huge volume of
> amazingly ugly stuff. A lot of that is because it includes CSS instructions
> in the document, and all the text in the document has references to the
> CSS styles.    (02)

I've been able to use JTidy in "read MS HTML" (or whatever it's called)
to do an initial scum-scan, then a second pass as XHTML to get something
reasonable. The only bug that I've had to fix at that point is generally
that the token after DOCTYPE is uppercase "HTML". But obviously this
rip and tear approach often leaves the documents looking radically
different. I'm usually only interested in reading the text, so this
hasn't been a problem. I've often found MS people to be incredibly self-
righteous about the design decisions they make, but you'd think in this
one instance that they could actually produce *real* HTML/XHTML in their
exporter, or at least have that as a second option.    (03)

>>Murray Altheim                         <mailto:m.altheim @ open.ac.uk>
>>Knowledge Media Institute
>>The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK
>
> Hey, great sig!
> When did that happen???    (04)

Mary Keeler invited me out to the ICCS 2001 conference at Stanford
last fall where I met the director of KMi, Enrico Motta. He offered
me a program, I went out and investigated, one thing led to another
and now I'm here. Pretty surprising that it's all worked out so well
and so quickly, really. Simon Buckingham Shum is one of my advisors.
My thesis regards the use of ontologies in research organization and
authoring.    (05)

Murray    (06)

Murray Altheim                         <mailto:m.altheim @ open.ac.uk>
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK    (07)

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu    (08)