Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 01:53:19 -0800 (PST)
Subject: UCB Digital Library Project Seminar, Monday April 8 (Douglas
Engelbart)    (03)

---------------  PLEASE NOTE ROOM CHANGE --------------------------    (04)

UC Berkeley Digital Library Seminar
Monday, April 8, 2002
306 Soda Hall
4:00-5:30pm    (05)

Improving Our Ability to Improve: A Call for Investment in a New Future    (06)

Dr. Douglas C. Engelbart, The Bootstrap Alliance    (07)

Abstract:    (08)

In the past fifty years we have seen enormous growth in computing
capability - computing is everywhere and has impacted nearly everything.
In this talk, Dr. Douglas Engelbart, who pioneered much of what we now
take for granted as interactive computing, examines the forces that have
shaped this growth.  He argues that our criteria for investment in
innovation are, in fact, short-sighted and focused on the wrong things.
He proposes, instead, investment in an improvement infrastructure that
can result in sustained, radical innovation capable of changing
computing and expanding the kinds of problems that we can address
through computing.  In this talk, Dr. Engelbart describes both the
processes that we need to put in place and the capabilities that we must
support in order to stimulate this higher rate of innovation.  The talk
closes with a call to action for the Digital Library community, since
this is a group that has both a stake in innovation and the ability to
shape its direction.    (09)

For further reference, see also www.bootstrap.org and the paper
Toward High-Performance Organizations: A Strategic Role for Groupware -
Dr. Douglas C. Engelbart, 1992
http://www.bootstrap.org/augdocs/augment-132811.htm    (010)