Re: [ba-ohs-talk] The Endeavour Expedition: Charting the Fluid Information Utility

Henry,    (01)

Proposal to the California Institutes for Science and Innovation
< http://www.citris.Berkeley.edu/WebProposal_new.doc.pdf >    (02)

Based on the link above, I believe nearly all of the ongoing projects at UC Berkeley
will converge into the CITRIS project for Societal-scaled Information Systems (SIS).
E.G.:  Smart Classrooms, Smart Buildings, Diaster Risk Reduction, Transportation
networks, Enironmental Monitoring, and Medical Alerts SIS because:    (03)

1) "UC and other universities will need to educate greatly increasing numbers of
students in the near future. Studies have shown that problem based learning, remote
viewing of recorded lectures, and other techniques can better serve both traditional
students on campus as well as remote students and professionals. Our Smart Classroom SIS
will better serve all these communities by making these techniques easily and widely
available."    (04)

2) Prof. Randy Katz says:    (05)

"... [E]ndeavour, is a broad research investigation into future computing architecture
based on harnessing the extremes spanning from MEMS to large-scale cluster machines
distributed across the world. The common theme across these projects is the development
of a reliable, scalable, composible, wide-area service architecture to support diverse
access networks, end devices, and services that can operate on a global-scale. Endeavour
involves over a dozen Berkeley faculty and three dozen graduate students! "
< http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~randy/biosketch.html >    (06)

... "To ground the Utility architecture, it is crucial to incorporate stressing
Applications. Ours include collaborative environments to support high-speed decision
making and education/learning spaces.    (07)

Integral to the design effort will be a vigorous activity in Design Methodology: formal
methods for specifying the system, synthesizing it onto its underlying hardware and
software components, and rigorously evaluating it to insure its usability by the
intended user communities."
(see the Expedition Cube shown in Figure 1, near the bottom of this link <
http://endeavour.cs.berkeley.edu:80/proposal/9907IIB.html >)    (08)

3) Prof. Culler (Director of Intel Research Berkeley <
http://www.intel-research.net/berkeley/index.htm >) explains how the open internet,
microscope sensor networks, and planetary services will evolve based on the following
historical perspective:    (09)

   * New eras of computing start when the previous era is so strong it is hard to image
     that things could be different.
        o mainrame -> mini
        o mini -> workstation -> PS
        o PC -> ???
   * It is often smaller than what came before
        o most think of the new technology as "just a toy"
   * The new dominant use was almost completely absent
        o It is likely to come from the extremes    (010)

4) The Interactive University - Open Learning Environmwent (IU-OLE): University and K-12
Educators Collaborating and Teaching through Flexible, Repurposable Learning Objects
<
http://interactiveu.berkeley.edu:8000/newIU/Filer/filetree/techpapers/yee_yoes_iu_ole_2001_08_31.pdf
>    (011)

5) The Interactive University: A Future Model
< http://iu.berkeley.edu/newiu >    (012)

Henry K van Eyken wrote:    (013)