Re: [ba-ohs-talk] Call for Action: Multivalent Browser for CITRIS & CODIAK Collaboratories?

As a result of Doug's presentation, I believe there is an interesting opportunity between the Bootstrap Institute and the CITRIS wireless sensor webs, Societal-scale Information Systems (SIS), and "disruptive" CoDIAK collaboratory projects for accelerating the development of MVD/OHS/DKR technology to "improve improvements" in our C-activities and for harnessing vital information:
  • “Societal-scale information systems must be able to harness vast amounts of information in order to respond to problems,” Bajcsy said. They will form the “backbone” of global communication systems in the future and they will have to be “resilient to attack.”    < http://www.berkeley.edu/news/berkeleyan/2002/03/20_citr.html >

P.S.
Since I found problems using IE5 or Netscape for the presentation, I extracted an outline of the text for your convenience and possible future topics for discussion.

Presentation Outline

  • Societal Societal- -Scale Grand Challenges Scale Grand Challenges
  • The Key: The Key: Disruptive ‘Business Models’ Disruptive ‘Business Models’
  • CITRIS: The Center for Information The Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of Technology Research in the Interest of Society Society
  • Research Examples
Bridging the Gaps
  • Wealthy Nations
  • 4 Billion People Earning less than $1,500/year
  • Middle Class in developing countries
We are Living in a Global Economy and a Global Society
  • We Depend Upon One Another—All of Us and so we must Empower Poor People Throughout the World
  • Celebrate & Reconcile Our Many Differences
Info-Bio Technology Research and Societal Grand Challenge Problems
  • Within the next decade, we will develop a sustainable business model and associated collection of system architectures and component technologies for providing affordable and useful digital services to the four billion people on earth earning less than $1,500/year.
  • Within the next decade, we will develop and deploy sustainable and affordable technology that will guarantee reliable access to clean drinking water for over 90% of the people and animals on earth.
  • Within the next decade, we will develop and deploy monitoring and control systems that can reduce both commercial and domestic energy waste by over 90%.
  • Within the next half century, we will develop and deploy appropriate sustainable, affordable and reliable energy sources for use by all people throughout the world.
  • Within the next fifteen years, we will improve the average literacy levels in the world by 5 grade-years by making compelling, culturally-relevant, cost-effective and robust digital tutor technology available to any interested group on this planet.
  • Within the next decade, we will reduce the unemployment rate of people with disabilities by 50% throughout the world.
  • Within the next decade, we will increase the average duration of time by which and elderly person can live comfortably at home by at least five years.
  • Within the next decade, we will provide affordable access to all known authored works on line. This will include all contemporary and historical documents, works of art, film, and recorded performances.
Disruptive Technologies
  • A driver of leadership failure and the source of new growth opportunities.
  • (See 3 graphic slides about "Value Creation in Product Development")
    • The Way It Used to Be
    • The Way It Is Today
    • The Way It Is For the Future: Disruptive Technology, Disruptive Methodology, Disruptive Business Model
E.G., Grameen Phone
  • A Disruptive Societal-Scale Business Model
  • ‘Village Phone’ is a unique idea that provides modern telecommunication services to the poor people of Bangladesh.
  • The goal is to provide telecommunication services to the 100 million rural inhabitants in the 68,000 villages in Bangladesh—the  largest wireless pay phone project in the World.
Disruptive Business Models & Implementation
  • (see 2 graphic slides about A Major Societal Opportunity)
Are There Ways to Profitably Serve These 4 Billion Citizens?
Keys to the future:
  • New Technology (e.g. societal-scale information systems, global and open communications systems, ultra low-cost electronics)
  • New Business Models (e.g. Grameen Phone project)
  • “Triple Bottom Line”
    • Financial ROI
    • Environmental ROI
    • Societal ROI
CITRIS: The Center for Information Technology Research In the Interest of Society
Core Technologies:
  • Distributed Info Systems
  • Micro sensors and actuators
  • Human-Computer Interaction
  • Prototype Deployment
Applications:
  • Quality-of-Life Emphasis
  • Initially Leverage Existing Expertise  on campuses
Foundations:
  • Security, Policy
  • Probabilistic Systems
  • Formal Techniques
  • Data management
  • Simulation
The Best Technology for The World’s Biggest Challenges
  • Energy Efficiency
  • Transportation Planning
  • Monitoring Health Care
The Berkeley Highway Lab:
  • Twelve cameras with overlapping fields of view covering 1.5 miles of Interstate 880
  • Video data are processed to obtain position and speed of every vehicle
  • Lane-Changing Maneuver and Shockwave
Wireless Measurement, Diagnosis, and Cure:
  • Education
  • Emergency Response
  • Land and Environment
Microair Vehicles and Smart Dust:
  • Connecting the Civil and Environmental Infrastructure
Distributed, Wireless Sensor Networks:
  • A Revolution for Civil Infrastructure & Society
  • Seismic Monitoring of Housing by Wireless Sensor Motes ($8,000 ea. vs. $70 ea.)
  • Blast Liquefaction Test in Japan, Tokachi Port, Hokkaido (wireline sensors vs. wireless sensors)

eMerging Societal-Scale Systems

  • Implementation & Deployment of an Oceanic Data Information Utility
    • Ubiquitous devices require ubiquitous storage
    • 10,000 9Gbyte IBM Microdrives in a single rack provides 90terabytes/m2
    • Confederations of (Mutually Suspicious) Utilities
The Future of Moore’s Law
  • 2001: < 0.1 micron CMOS
  • 2010: < 0.01 micron 3D CMOS Nano-engineering
Biocomputation & Biomimetic Materials:
  • The implant is the medicine
  • It is about Bio-Info-engineering!
Is the End of Moore’s Law an Economic One?
  • Silicon is not suited for low-end human-centric consumer appliances
    • Baseline costs of traditional chips are high
    • Cannot easily integrate human interaction component
  • The solution: Organic Semiconductors
    • Spray on circuits” – no clean rooms
    • Easy to integrate display, computation and sensing
E.G., “Smart Soup”
  • Electronic “Bar Code”
    • Passive RF circuit that talk to the outside world… no need for scanners
  • Real-time Labeling
    • Develop new generations of reflective display technology for ultra-low power “electronic paper” displays. No more incorrect pricing!
  • Closed Loop Content Monitoring
    • No more expiration dates… the can knows when it has expired!
E.G., Gecko Adhesive
  • Sticks to wet or dry surfaces
  • Sticks to rough or smooth surfaces (e.g concrete or glass)
  • Self cleaning
  • Leaves no residue
  • Reusable
  • Can be turned on/off at 10 HzvPull-off 10N/cm2
  • Goal: artificial nanofabricated structures with gecko adhesive performance

CITRIS is a Partnership with Industry

  • “I believe we are now entering the Renaissance phase of the Information Age, where creativity and ideas are the new currency, and invention is a primary virtue, where technology truly has the power to transform lives, not just businesses, where technology can help us solve fundamental problems.” Carly Fiorina, CEO, Hewlett Packard Corporation

Future Opportunities and the Challenges Lie at the Boundaries Between Technology and Global Society

  • We Must Focus Our Attention on Societal-Scale Systems that Will Build Bridges Between People Throughout the World
Mei Lin Fung wrote:
Hi –
If you plan to come to the demo on MVB from 3-4 pm – note the location will be Room 373.
Following the demo, we will go to Soda Hall 306 for the main talk by Doug
Here’s the abstract for the talk. We hope to see as many of you as can make it.
For those interested in the pre-talk Multivalent Browser demo, please see the bottom of this email for

Instructions on where to go.

UC Berkeley Digital Library Seminar

Monday, April 8, 2002

306 Soda Hall

4:00-5:30pm

Improving Our Ability to Improve: A Call for Investment in a New Future

Dr. Douglas C. Engelbart, The Bootstrap Alliance

Abstract:

In the past fifty years we have seen enormous growth in computing

capability - computing is everywhere and has impacted nearly everything.

In this talk, Dr. Douglas Engelbart, who pioneered much of what we now

take for granted as interactive computing, examines the forces that have

shaped this growth.  He argues that our criteria for investment in

innovation are, in fact, short-sighted and focused on the wrong things.

He proposes, instead, investment in an improvement infrastructure that

can result in sustained, radical innovation capable of changing

computing and expanding the kinds of problems that we can address

through computing.  In this talk, Dr. Engelbart describes both the

processes that we need to put in place and the capabilities that we must

support in order to stimulate this higher rate of innovation.  The talk

closes with a call to action for the Digital Library community, since

this is a group that has both a stake in innovation and the ability to

shape its direction.

For further reference, see also www.bootstrap.org and the paper

Toward High-Performance Organizations: A Strategic Role for Groupware -

Dr. Douglas C. Engelbart, 1992

http://www.bootstrap.org/augdocs/augment-132811.htm

For those interested in the MVB Demo: Directions

We have requested this time so as to provide the BA-OHS-Talk community

an opportunity to discuss with the designer/developer Tom Phelps (Wilensky unfortunately is

not able to join us at this time) specifically how far the MVB might take us as a stepping stone to the Hyperscope.

Jack Park feels that a good candidate for the Intermediate File format is the treasure that we might find

buried in the code that allows the MVB to access legacy files.

Here’s where to find out more about MVB http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/java/help/About.html

MVB demo will be held in Room 373