[ba-ohs-talk] Microsoft Assumption and McAfee 6.0

Henry,    (01)

Recently McAfee was purchased and downloaded.  It installed without
incident, as related in the record on 020331....    (02)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/02/03/31/193859.HTM    (03)

IE is on the computer where McAfee was installed, so in some respects
this record does not relate to your situation, except that. once
installed, McAfee provides virus protection for Netscape in receiving
email and other downloads.      (04)

Ordinarily, if you have Windows installed, there is an opportunity to
install IE that is provided at no additional cost, and this can be
helpful, provided you do not have a disk space issue, in order to
accommodate market conditions that have a lot of inertia toward
Microsoft, as you point out.  Your experience and a letter from Eric
Armstrong a few months ago indicate Netscape seems to have a better
email environment, although many may dispute this.    (05)

The challenge is how to work productively and still maintain
compatibility with the general market centered on Microsoft.  Again,
since disk space is relatively inexpensive, and since IE comes at no
charge with the operating system, it is possible for another few years
to be both productive and be compatible with the larger market.  How
long this will remain so seems like a big issue you might want to take
up in your journal.    (06)

For example, some people are continuing to work on using technology
productively under the general umbrella of Knowledge Management.
Assume a workable design were identified over the next year or so,
which so far is not likely, based on efforts by Microsoft, IBM,
Oracle, LANL, SRI, DARPA, Doug, Eric, Jack, Eugene, Jeff, Lee, et al.
How many years will it take to implement that design based on the
history where KM has been deployed.  In other words, simply coming
with a design is only a beginning that launches people on many years
of trial and error before something is available that is effective for
wide scale use.  On the other hand, if an existing design were
upgraded how many years would this save in reaching a solution to
avoid future 911 disasters, "Enrons," and for solving world problems?
Indeed, an interesting question to pose in a journal article is how
long people are willing to wait; how much money are people willing to
lose, before advancing from IT to a culture of knowledge, based on
Jack's report on 010908 and your analysis on 000926....    (07)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/09/26/155401.HTM#004M    (08)

Your quandary has interesting and perhaps momentous ramifications for
those investing time in KM and for those suffering under the growing
weight of IT, as you point out today.    (09)

Rod    (010)