Re: [ba-ohs-talk] More bad news about the GPL License: Fwd: [Gxl] GCC Licencing and XML extracts

 From this page http://moglen.law.columbia.edu/publications/lu-12.html
mentioned on slashdot.org this morning, we get the following:    (01)

"But most proprietary software companies want more power than copyright
alone gives them . These companies say their software is ``licensed'' to
consumers, but the license contains obligations that copyright law knows
nothing about. Software you're not allowed to understand, for example,
often requires you to agree not to decompile it. Copyright law doesn't
prohibit decompilation, the prohibition is just a contract term you agree
to as a condition of getting the software when you buy the product under
shrink wrap in a store, or accept a ``clickwrap license'' on line.
Copyright is just leverage for taking even more away from users.
The GPL, on the other hand, subtracts from copyright rather than adding to
it. The license doesn't have to be complicated, because we try to control
users as little as possible. Copyright grants publishers power to forbid
users to exercise rights to copy, modify, and distribute that we believe
all users should have; the GPL thus relaxes almost all the restrictions of
the copyright system. The only thing we absolutely require is that anyone
distributing GPL'd works or works made from GPL'd works distribute in turn
under GPL. That condition is a very minor restriction, from the copyright
point of view. Much more restrictive licenses are routinely held
enforceable: every license involved in every single copyright lawsuit is
more restrictive than the GPL. "    (02)

Doesn't say anything about much *less* restrictive licenses, like LGPL,
BSD, etc.    (03)