Re: [ba-ohs-talk] More bad news about the GPL License: Fwd: [Gxl] GCC Licencing and XML extracts

Richard Stallman wrote:    (01)

> I do use the GNU GPL; what I don't do is support the open source
> movement.  It was formed in 1998 specifically to reject the idealism
> of the free software movement which I founded.  Ever since, their
> publicity has put their name on the operating system we developed, on
> the community we built, and even on our selves.  If you have seen articles
> associate me with "open source", that is the reason why.
>
> Please see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html
> for a full explanation.    (02)

Richard,    (03)

Thanks for posting this. It's quite compelling, and I agree and
am reconsidering the license for my upcoming Java application
Ceryle. I need to understand better what the ramifications will
be with each license, what restrictions each entails for both
acceptance and reuse.    (04)

I do, however, very much see the point of *both* the Free Software
and Open Source movements. Coming recently from Sun Microsystems
I can say that there is a struggle there to understand how to build
a justifiable business model that includes open source, ie., even
a company with as much in the way of resources and capital as Sun
has to be profitable in the end; not everything can be a "loss
leader" (which I believe Java is). It's easier for entities
(whether individuals or companies) to be idealistic about this when
they have a regular cash flow, so as the financial climate in
silicon valley has diminished, the "freedom from their shareholders"
that many companies had several years ago has also diminished.    (05)

Murray    (06)

Murray Altheim                  <http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/>
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK    (07)

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu    (08)