Re: [ba-ohs-talk] More bad news about the GPL License: Fwd: [Gxl] GCC Licencing and XML extracts

Murray Altheim wrote:    (01)

> ... there is a struggle there to understand how to build
> a justifiable business model that includes open source,
> ...not everything can be a "loss leader" (which I believe Java is).
> It's easier ... to be idealistic about this when
> they have a regular cash flow...    (02)

It is noteworthy, I think, that most of the organizations which
provide one of those forms of software are underwritten by
hardware vendors.
      Java -- Sun
      Apache -- IBM
      Linux (one version) -- (some company -- Red Hat?)    (03)

Gnu is an exception, I think. Lots of folks on this list would
know. But wasn't that software developed at a university
that went out into the world? And even then, it doesn't have
the kind of market-awareness that the subsidized operations
have gotten. (User stats would be interesting, here.)    (04)

What I don't get, and never have gotten (let the flames
begin) is why the time people spend developing software
should be free, while the time people spend developing
hardware is understandably compensated.    (05)

As Murray so eloquently writes, "It's easier to be idealistic
about this when you have cash flow."    (06)