[ba-ohs-talk] What's Better

[Fun_Announce, Collaborative_Filtering]

www.whatsbetter.com

This site is great!  Check it out, it's another installment in the series of amihotornot (the website is no longer up).

On this site one gets to choose between two fun images, and decide which is better.  There is a top 10 and a bottom 10 list.

This is the current top 10:

1. Kirsten Dunst
2. Elle Macpherson
3. Nicole Kidman
4. Einstein
5. Porsche Carrera GT
6. Darth Vader
7. Christina Ricci
8. Milla Jovovich
9. Star Wars
10. Google

I love Google, and Kirsten Dunst (sadly maybe a bit less then google)

The great thing about this site as oppesed to amIhotOrNot ( http://www.hotornot.com/ is a less exciting version) is that here you can come up with an Exact ranking for the items.  MIHOT only gives you an approximate score from 1 to 10.

----

Personally, something I would like to do would be to have some kind of non-blogger input into daypop (where I found this link) or blogdex rankings (another example of collaborative filtering).  For instance, I bet you that this link is going to go up in the ranks (currently it's #35 on daypop).  I want it to go up.  How could this be accomplished?  I have been toying with a stock market type model which would allow users to buy+sell links as they rise+fall, but I am not sure how to deal with the fact that bloggers can effect the ranks.  Maybe it doesn't matter.

... I am kind of sad to let the link stock-market idea "out", but I am guessing that by the time I got around to capitalizing on it someone would have already done it.  I had though of the whatisbetter type ranking too, honest, though I didn't have the brilliant notion of categorizing disparate items. ... Oh well, I am going over to play with the site.

Another thing that's great about it is that you get feedback once you've made your selection, you can argue with friends, and then find out who was closer to the majority opinion.

--Alex