Re: [ba-ohs-talk] Keyword Indexing

cdent wrote:    (01)

> [archive_access.practical]
>
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Murray Altheim wrote:
>
>>But a more meta question is: what exactly are the requirements, and
>>what are the benefits? Couldn't all this be done server-side on the
>>mail list archives, such that if one wanted to browse the archives
>>an intelligent search could remove the need for most of the effort?
>
> Perhaps, but who is going to do that setup work? I'm sure there are
> plenty of people here (I'm one) who would do it given the
> opportunity and support, but where would that support come from?
> It's not a simple task.    (02)

You're simply repeating another meta question that regards how this    (03)

group functions. I was only dealing with the technical aspects of
the solution, which is all I'm able to do. We all volunteer time
and energy here, so making that next step certainly would require
an even greater volunteer effort unless there was some ongoing
funding. I'm not in any position to take on that task, nor are
very many of us. I think we should leave that to a different thread.    (04)

>>There's a CMU system I used at NTTC that
>>could analyze a text and come up with a set of keywords for it. I'd
>>prefer we leave this kind of thing to computers (which are in general
>>pretty good at it, especially on longer texts).
>
> Mail messages are considered "dirty" by most of the language
> processing people I've talked to. A special challenge. Do you
> have a point to that tool (if it is available to the rest of the
> world)?    (05)

It's not open source, nor are any of the high quality search engines,    (06)

to my knowledge. But I believe we can get a license, and possibly
for very little or no money, if we approached them as the Bootstrap
Institute. They (like most others) sell the thing, as they put a
lot of research money into it.    (07)

Murray    (08)

Murray Altheim                  <http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/>
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK    (09)

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu    (010)