RE: [ba-ohs-talk] Bootstrap and Licensing

Title: RE: [ba-ohs-talk] Bootstrap and Licensing

My thoughts on the matter at hand (only because I don't see them represented elsewhere).

Throughout the Unrev-II colloquium and ensuing collaboration it was my understanding that development would be two-fold. The first part would be an OHS/DKR client, written by members of BA/BI and open-sourced (I prefer the GPL). The second part would be the communications specification for exchanging data between OHS/DKR clients, linking metadata and so forth. These specifications, which would most likely use other existing standards (XML, TCP/IP, etc..), would only be formulated when the client OHS/DKR of the first part reached a 1.0 level of stability. These specifications would then be released to the public domain through standards organizations such as the Internet Engineering Task Force to encourage interoperability and third party development of clients. I see third party use of any software or standards developed by BA/BI as essential to it's survival.

This method would allow us to have our test bed to play with (in the form of our internally produced software) that would be free and open for all to use, and a slower moving standard for interoperability with other free, commercial or non-profit implementations.

Personally I see the OHS/DKR model, combined with technologies such as ReiserFS 4.0, overthrowing the desktop metaphor and radically changing the day-to-day computing environment. Realistically this is a long way off, after we have developed a standard, and much after we have developed a client.

Remember, we can dual-license our software with the GPL to keep the code free and another license to keep the ideas open.

As for our initial client software, I would like to see it built upon the technologies of the Mozilla project. But that's another issue.

We have a lot of hard work ahead of us, and I'm anxious to start working.

--
Michael Crusoe
Student at large