Re: Fwd: Re: [ba-ohs-talk] :zz: ZigZag patent (short reply) [Was: **** Instant Outlining !!! ***]

Ted Nelson wrote:    (01)

> Sorry about delay replying.  My reply got too long.
>
> Jack Park says
>
>>Ted, I think you're in the hotseat to respond to this one publically.  I
>>won't have any problems with however you may respond, but, like Murray,
>>I'll drop anything to do with zzstructures if the patent is anything but a
>>defensive patent to keep gorillas from patenting it.
>
> The short answer is, I have no idea what's going to be done with the patent,
>  because I will probably need to sell it.
>
> If anyone wants the long answer I'll post it.
>
> Best, Ted N.    (02)

Ted,    (03)

I'd certainly like that answer, long or short, as I have no
intention of developing anything publicly that puts me at the
end of a patent lawsuit. I've got all sorts of ideas about
hypertext that are informed by its long history, and knowing
how these ideas relate to existing patents, and in how those
patents are expected to play out legally, is of vital importance
to whether or not myself or others will proceed. If you plan to
sell it, and let's say, uh, Microsoft buys it (with their deep
pockets), that could very well lock up further investigation
into the field, except by those willing to take on a team of
lawyers.    (04)

Murray    (05)

Murray Altheim                  <http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/>
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK    (06)

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu    (07)