Re: [ba-ohs-talk] Bootstrap and Licensing

"John J. Deneen" wrote:    (01)

> ... "The open-source business model is really fascinating. Lest one
> think it's an idealistic notion consider this quote from Red Hat's web
> site: "While it is true that Open Source software code is free, taking
> advantage of its benefits requires a significant investment." That
> sounds like a good business proposition, a nice way to make money from a
> free product.
>
> But the numbers, at least for the biggest of open source companies,
> suggest otherwise." ...    (02)

Thanks, John.
It's good to have data.    (03)

I'm also intrigued by the notion Mike set forth, that people would
contribute
modules under a GPL license, if we had specifications for them -- if we
had GPL.    (04)

The options are:
  1. Build a company around software that makes it possible to
      develop collaboration teams and KB's. Hope to make it as
      widespread a "platform" as windows or desktop computers.
      Sell the platform that people use to publish the information,
      or possibly to access it, the same way that spreadsheets,
      operating systems, and computers are sold. Let knowledge
      integrators and providers decide whether their services are
      free, or open only to registered users.    (05)

  2. Build a GPL version of the software. Give it away the same
      way Mosaic was given away. Build momentum. Let companies
      spring forth in whatever way it was that propelled Netscape
      and Yahoo into existence. (Personally, I'm still trying to figure
      out their business model. There must be *some* kind of model.)    (06)

Unfortunately, there does not appear to be a middle ground. I've
yet to find any compromise position that is not uniformly hated
by both those who fund commercial efforts, and those who
contribute to open source efforts.    (07)

There appears, therefore, to be a very clear demarcation -- a
point of decision. I have endeavored to promote the former
option for a couple of years, but have met with little success.    (08)

I suspect that is therefore past time to give the 2nd option a
try. It can do no worse.    (09)