RE: [ba-ohs-talk] What are we trying to accomplish?

John    (01)

Thank you for pointing this out. It is the embrace of this very
diversity of perspectives that will help us move in the direction of the
civil society.    (02)

The point about conscious direction reminds me of a review of a new book
about Rudyard Kipling, who is described as a man of permanent
contradictions. (Just think of his poem IF...) We will both pine for
conscious direction and want to subvert it. This zig zag path will
continue and in the oscillations learning and "progress" will happen.
So, for example a high performance team works when there is purposeful
activity by a group of people when they are striving for a common goal
that overrides for the time, personal goals. Yet the very resentment by
team members of conscious direction is what is necessary to make sure
that the goal will self-corrects when needed. It is not sufficient
though....    (03)

Your remark reminds me that it is important to clarify that BA-OHS as a
discussion group exists in parallel to and independently of the effort
in BA right now, to try and work out what it is that is the entity that
Doug is talking about. My own focus on that goal should not be
interpreted as meaning that there is any reason for the discussion in
BA-OHS should focus on that. In fact it is better, far far better that
the people involved in reading and posting on BA-OHS continue the
search, the discussion, the refinement of thinking and concept
diffusion.    (04)

We have no guarantee that if we build what Doug wants, that it will be
"The One". It is absolutely certain in my mind that there is no "One"
thing that will "save" us or solve the worlds problems! The things we
can work on are what will enable people and people in teams to work on
things in ways that are more fun, inspiring, provide learning and
insights and in the end are productive.     (05)

I think it is important work with Doug to explicate his concept of OHS
and tool and human system co-development, mostly because I think there
is still much we have to learn and understand from the thinking he has
refined over many many years.  Hopefully what is learned will help steer
us from some (but only some) of the blind alleys and potholes that we
might otherwise fall into.    (06)

I commit to share my learning as related to Doug's work, I hope each of
you will be ready to step forward to share your insights and learnings
too.    (07)

It will take a village, and more to move this forward.    (08)

Mei Lin    (09)