Re: [ba-ohs-talk] FW: Re: paper clip - linked files - feature request]

"Garold (Gary) L. Johnson" wrote:    (01)

> From the Chandler project.
> From the pdf paper:
>
> We predicted
> that filers' attempts to evaluate and categorise incoming documents would
> produce smaller archives that were
> accessed frequently. Contrary to our predictions, filers amassed more
> information, and accessed it less frequently
> than pilers. We argue that filers may engage in premature filing: to clear
> their workspace, they archive information
> that later turns out to be of low value. Given the effort involved in
> organising data, they are also loath to discard
> filed information, even when its value is uncertain. We discuss the
> implications of this research for digital personal
> information management.    (02)

Makes sense to me. When it comes to email, I'm a "filer". I keep lots of
crap that's stuffed into a huge folder hierarchy. I don't purge it, because
it's too much trouble to go through it all! Plus, I know that in 5 to 10 years,
so other system will come along, or I'll have a new job, and I'll have to
start all over again anyway...    (03)