Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Freedom to Innovate? ... CITRIS-kickoff: The New Economy (incl. Journal & Repository)

Highlights of Prof. Brad Delong's potential interest in OHS/SDS/TouchGraph/Multivalent
browser, etc. and CITRIS call for action for collaborative research management and
dissemination of results.    (01)

UC Berkeley's Prof. Brad Delong < http://www.j-bradford-delong.net/Career/resume.html > is
an economist and former Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Treasury <
http://www.j-bradford-delong.net/Career/whatididinwashington.html> who is interested in a
"weblog" for his semi-daily journal and knowledge sharing repository.
< http://www.j-bradford-delong.net/Index.html#anchor4212447 >    (02)

   * He says:    (03)

          "Semi Daily Journal: It's Time to Start One of My Own
          < http://www.j-bradford-delong.net/TotW/Daily_Journal.html>    (04)

          But if you find any intelligent, liberal, and
          polite/well-intentioned/kind-spirited weblogs (okay, I'd be happy with
          two out of three), email me < mailto:delong@econ.berkeley.edu >."    (05)

   * He is also made a presentation for the CITRIS-kickoff: The New Economy    (06)

          ... "Projects like CITRIS promise the benefits of government
          research--the wide distribution of knowledge and the acceleration of
          cumulative research--and the benefits of private entrepreneurship--the
          willingness to take risks and investigate large numbers of potential
          development projects rather than just those that have won the stamp of
          approval of a single central committee."
          < http://www.j-bradford-delong.net/TotW/citris_kickoff.html >    (07)

   * UC Regents say: "This has to be win-win for all involved."    (08)

           “Under the CITRIS proposal, the University of California has proposed
          to work with industry under a new, experimental intellectual property
          licensing model developed to make all research results available
          openly to any collaborating institution - from industry or academia.
          This approach is most likely to maximize the impact of the research
          and its long-term benefit to society.”
          < http://patron.ucop.edu/ottmemos/docs/ott00-02.html >    (09)

Prof. Brad Delong says: "Tom Kalil is a cousin" <
http://www.j-bradford-delong.net/OpEd/theshockofthevirtual.html >.    (010)

   * 7/31/01 - President Clinton's former science and technology advisor, Thomas Kalil,
     takes up post at UC Berkeley    (011)

          "Kalil, who arrived July 10, 2001 will primarily work with researchers
          in the two California Institutes for Science and Innovation in which
          UC Berkeley plays a lead role. The California Institute for
          Bioengineering, Biotechnology and Quantitative Biomedical Research,
          called QB3, and the Center for Information Technology Research in the
          Interest of Society (CITRIS) are innovative initiatives by Gov. Davis
          to help advance the state's scientific and economic prowess.    (012)

          Kalil's interest in promoting the public interest dimensions of the
          Information Revolution dovetails with the intent of CITRIS - to create
          and harness information technology to tackle society's most critical
          needs. Kalil was instrumental in Clinton's efforts to connect school
          classrooms to the Internet, train teachers to use technology to
          improve student performance, make information technology accessible to
          people with disabilities and create digital libraries for math and
          science education."
          < http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2001/07/31_kalil.html >    (013)

   * Tom Kalil's call for action:    (014)

          "We should talk to people who have been involved in previous
          collaborations between engineers and social scientists to determine
          how they have dealt with some of the obvious barriers to successful
          two-way collaboration, such as a lack of familiarity with each others’
          specialized vocabulary, research methodology, and academic culture. "
          <  http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~demmel/CITRIS_KickOff/CITRIS_Kalil.htm
          >    (015)

"John J. Deneen" wrote:    (016)