[ba-unrev-talk] Reduce foreign oil risk

Forwarding FYI: a MoveOn.org and 9-11peace campaign    (01)
--- Begin Message ---
Dear friend of 9-11peace,    (01)

The United States' reliance on oil is at the root of many of the
international problems we currently face.  More fuel-efficient cars
could drastically reduce the need for the US to protect oil production
abroad.  But despite all of the arguments for making such vehicles,
General Motors is unwilling to produce them.      (02)

MoveOn.org, the 9-11peace campaign's parent organization, is
running a terrific campaign to pressure GM on this issue.  And just by
signing onto their pledge, you'll be entered in a drawing for a free
Hybrid Civic.  I've copied the MoveOn email below; I hope you can
participate.    (03)

Sincerely,    (04)

--Eli Pariser
  9-11peace Campaign Director
  MoveOn.org
  May 20, 2002    (05)

---------------------------------------    (06)

Dear friend of MoveOn,    (07)

We've come up with a great way to fight the short-sightedness of
American car companies.  We need your help. Hey, there's even
a chance to win a free, new Honda Civic Hybrid. Read on...    (08)

In the energy bill about to pass in the Senate, General Motors has
again scuttled sound energy policy.  GM spent millions lobbying
against fuel efficiency standards.  Meanwhile, American car
companies are getting trapped in a market niche that will eventually
disappear -- focusing on products like the 8,600 pound Humvee.
We've got to save GM from its own short-sightedness, before it's
too late.     (09)

General Motors needs to hear from us in the most powerful way possible.
We urge you to take this pledge:    (010)

"I will seriously consider buying a General Motors vehicle ONLY if:
   - GM offers a fuel-efficient line of vehicles;
   - GM supports meaningful increases in fuel efficiency standards;
   - GM supports efforts to reduce carbon pollution and
     global warming."    (011)

Just go to:    (012)

   http://www.moveon.org/saveGM/    (013)

When you pledge, we'll automatically enroll you in a drawing for a new
Honda Civic Hybrid, conducted by our friends at the Patriot's Energy
Pledge campaign.  The hybrids from Japan prove that great cars can be
efficient too.  Why is Japan out in front on this?  Didn't we learn
anything from the 70s, when American car companies lost huge market
share to foreign imports?    (014)

Sign the pledge now.  The free Honda Civic Hybrid will be awarded July
4th in Washington, DC.  Let's save the American car industry from
itself.  Let's save hundreds of thousands of American jobs.  Let's save
our country from its crippling dependence on oil.  Let's lead the
world to a sustainable future.     (015)

Go to:    (016)

   http://www.moveon.org/saveGM/    (017)

Thank you,    (018)

-Wes Boyd