[ba-unrev-talk] (forw) [WebGuild] Remember: Wednesday Night! Wednesday, June 12 - Jared Spool

FYI -- Grant    (01)

----- Forwarded message from WorldofEric@aol.com -----
From: WorldofEric@aol.com
To: webguild_announce@webguild.org
Subject: [WebGuild] Remember: Wednesday Night! Wednesday, June 12   -  Jared Spool
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 22:34:05 EDT
Sender: owner-webguild_announce@webguild.org    (02)

The Silicon Valley WebGuild Presents:    (03)

Meeting - June 12, 2002  - Jared Spool - "Scent of a Web Page - Getting Them
to What They Want"
Attention: Our meeting has moved to a new room at Cypress - see details
below.
Hosted by Cypress Semiconductor Corp. http://www.cypress.com/
IBM developerWorks http://www.ibm.com/developerWorks
Vividence http://www.vividence.com/
Site hosed by: Bay Area Internet Solutions http://www.bayarea.net/    (04)

...forward this email to your friends, our meetings are always open to all
and FREE...
==========================================================================    (05)

The Silicon Valley WebGuild - a Chapter of the Association of Internet
Professionals    (06)

June 12, 2002 main meeting.
Topic:
"Scent of a Web Page - Getting Them to What They Want"    (07)

Who:
Jared Spool - founder of User Interface Engineering    (08)

What:
You work hard providing top-notch content on your site. But will users find
it? If they don't find it, all that effort is for nothing. What can you do to
guarantee that users find the content they've come looking for? In this
entertaining and informative presentation, Jared Spool will show the latest
research in how designers control whether users find their content or not.
He'll show how sites do better when they prevent users from needing the
search engine. He'll also show how exposing the site hierarchy can increase
the success of the user. Jared will show you the secrets behind successful
designs from Lands' End, the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, and the BBC.
You'll see sites where users who say they always use the on-site search
engines didn't even notice when Search was missing. And you'll see how to
best use lateral links, bread crumbs, and next and previous. All based on
up-to-the-minute research on how users actually navigate sites.    (09)

When:
Wednesday, June 12, 2002. Registration begins at 6:00 PM and the speaker will
begin at 7:00 PM. RSVPs are NOT required.    (010)

Where:
Cypress Semiconductor in north San Jose between Highway 237 and Tasman Drive
at 3901 N. First St. and proceed to Building 6 (SouthWest corner of campus)
San Jose, CA (look for the big yellow signs!) See:
http://webguild.org/meetings/cypress_directions/ for map.    (011)

Who Should Attend:
E-Commerce Strategists & Practitioners, General Management , Sales &
Marketing, Management, Customer Support Management, Operations Management,
Business Owners, Web Managers, IT managers, IT staff and support personnel,
Designers and Developers.    (012)

How much:
Our community events are free and open to all and we even provide free soft
drinks, chips and other sweets!    (013)

What else happens:
>From 6pm to 7pm we provide an informal networking environment where you can
speak to fellow web professionals, look for a new job, search for new
employees, learn about our sponsors' products and services and generally have
a fun time.    (014)

After the main speaker we break out into Special Interest Groups (SIGs) and
discuss other more specialized topics as follows:
Animation SIG - June 2002: Script to Storyboard
eBusiness Perspectives: eBusiness concerns
Technical Development SIG: exploration into XML, XSLT
and XPath
Web Applications SIG: Exploring Flash as an Applications Front-End
Upcoming Meetings:
Webguild meetings:
Wednesday, July 10: How to Improve Your Business with Web Analytics
Take a look at the Special Notices section for addtional meeting and event
information. http://www.webguild.org/events/
**************************************************************************    (015)

BIO of speaker:
As the founder of User Interface Engineering in Cambridge, Mass., Jared Spool
has guided the research agenda and built UIE into the largest research
organization of its kind in the world. He's been working in the field of
usability and design since 1978, before the term "usability" was ever
associated with computers. He is also the conference chair and keynote
speaker at the twice-annual User Interface Conference, is on the faculty of
the Tufts University Gordon Institute, and manages to squeeze in a fair
amount of writing time. His latest work is as co-author of Getting Them to
What They Want, a report about the best practices for designing successful
navigation to content.    (016)

About our hosts:
Cypress Semiconductor http://www.cypress.com/
Cypress Semiconductor is "Driving the Communications Revolution" by
providing high-performance integrated circuit solutions to fast-growing
markets, including data communications, telecommunications, computation,
consumer products, and industrial control. With a focus on emerging
communications applications, Cypress's product portfolios include high-speed
data communications ICs; networking-optimized and micropower static RAMs
high-bandwidth multi-port and FIFO memories; high-density programmable logic
devices; timing technology solutions; and controllers for Universal Serial
Bus (USB).    (017)

Bay Area Internet Solutions: http://www.bayarea.net/
We have relaunched our Web Site and it is being hosted by Bay Area Internet
Solutions.
Bay Area Internet Solutions is a top-tier Internet Service Provider focused
on delivering high quality Internet access and related services to commercial
customers and professional users throughout northern and southern California.    (018)

About our Sponsors:
IBM developerWorks -http://www.ibm.com/developerWorks IBM's resource for
developers.
Vividence - http://www.vividence.com/ Improving Customer Experience on the
Web.

or from another account, besides your email address:    (021)