Re: [ba-unrev-talk] On Tournaments

Jack Park wrote:
> Is there an upside to this madness?
>
> I think there is.  My view is that the other arms race got us to the
moon
> and, for me, that's a good thing.  (Yes, Martha, I do have a narrow
world
> view). My view of this biotech arms race is that we are getting ever
so
> much smarter with respect to biology and disease. For me, that's also
> good thing.    (01)

I recall an article in The Economist magazine a while back where a
doctor had
done a mathematical study of how long it was going to take the human
race
to map the proteins if the research groups involved didn't collaborate,
as opposed to if they did.
My memory is rusty but I recall that collaboration reduced the time
needed by some large factor.    (02)

The arms race got 'U.S.' to the moon. It didn't, e.g., get the Africans
there at the same time.    (03)

--
Peter    (04)