Re: [ba-unrev-talk] one handed chord keyboards

Chris,    (01)

Henry is correct. Two-handed touch typing on an
ergonomic keyboard is about twice as fast as chording,
because serial stroking is pipelined by the nerves.
Even one-handed serial stroking is faster than
chording. To the extent that typing consists of
phoenetic alphabetic characters, it is also easier
to learn, because it plugs into our constant use of
natural language.  These advantages insure that the
current keyboard/mouse system will dominate through
economies of scale, until an alternative system is
scientifically designed to beat it.  This will have
to include all or most of the following:    (02)

1)having machine abbreviation, as with stenography,    (03)

2)allowing analog geometric motions to be performed
  simultaneously with keying on the same limb in an
  ergonomic fashion,    (04)

3)having lots of degrees-of-freedom of chording
  to increase its information bandwidth,    (05)

4)allowing instantaneous switching between one-handed
  and two-handed modes,    (06)

5)having error correcting and detecting feedback to
  facilitate learning of chording,    (07)

6)having a serial keying mode to utilize people's
  natural language channel skills,    (08)

7)having software support that allows people to type
  symbols onto overlays of multidimensional images
  (photos, cartoons, virtual realities) and to
  conveniently edit and highlight them,    (09)

8)packaging the above in a cultural framework that
  generates the social consensus that motivates
  people to learn and efficiently utilize the system.    (010)

Such a system will then become the dominant form of
professional communication, because it will be faster
and more reliable than either keyboard/mouse,
oral/whiteboard, or telephone/fax systems.  Spoken
natural language and simpler, more specialized
systems will, of course, still be widely used.    (011)

Food for thought,    (012)

larens     (013)

=====
larens imanyuel    (015)