Re: [ba-unrev-talk] one handed chord keyboards

[Sensor] Thumb Typing ... product available by year-end?    (01)

July/August 2002 - MIT Technology Review
"As computers blend into our environment and even our clothing, entering data
into them gets tricky. Carsten Mehring <
http://www.eng.uci.edu/~cmehring/index.html >, a mechanical engineer at the
University of California, Irvine, has come up with a device that turns your
hands into a qwerty-style keyboard. Mehring’s device uses six conductive
contacts on each thumb—three on the front and three on the back—to represent a
keyboard’s three lettered rows. Contacts on the tips of the remaining eight
fingers represent its columns. Touching the right index finger to the middle
contact on the front of the rightthumb, for instance, generates a j. The top
contact on the thumb yields a u, while the middle contact on the back of the
thumb would produce an h. Mehring says the similarity to typing makes his input
device easier to master than others that require an entirely different set of
motions. He has applied for a patent and hopes to market a product by
year-end."    (02)

See javascript demo
< http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/prototype0702.asp?p=8 >    (03)

cdent@burningchrome.com wrote:    (04)