Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Getting a search to work

This  page
http://www.uni.edu/hpl/links.html    (01)

lists graduate programs in Exercise Science.
Stanford is not on the list.
OTOH, Cal State Chico isn't listed either, but it has one.
http://www.csuchico.edu/pa/fdb/pe.html    (02)

At 03:34 PM 8/23/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>As promised, here is the latest search I'm doing
>in which looking for terms isn't narrowing things
>down a whole lot. (Because concrete examples
>make good use cases.)
>
>The goal:
>     Find a link to the Stanford University Department
>     of Exercise Science. (I saw where someone got
>     a masters in it, I'm interested in investigating the
>     program.)
>
>Google: stanford exercise science
>     102,000 hits. Everybody and anybody doing anything
>     remotely related to exercise, with a mention of
>     Stanford somewhere in the paper.
>
>Google: stanford "exercise science" program
>     1,540 hits. All about different exercise programs,
>     citing credentials or information from stanford.
>
>Google: stanford "exercise science" department
>     1,270 hits. Mostly with people who's credentials
>     cite a degree from that department.
>
>Google: Stanford University Department of Exercise Science
>     49,700 hits. Every exercise science department, anywhere
>     in the country, or references to same.
>
>Google "Stanford University Department of Exercise Science"
>     0 hits.
>
>Google: "Stanford University" "Exercise Science"
>     966 hits. Still pages the reference people who came from
>     there.
>
>Google: "Stanford University" "Exercise Science" home
>      639 hits. Not a lot of reduction.
>
>Clearly, there is some term I *should* know that will take me
>to Stanford's home page. (For some reason, www. stanford.edu
>took me back to the engineering page, when I was looking at
>that. Now that I've retried it, www.stanford.edu got me to the
>university's home page.
>
>Even then, though, I'm in trouble...
>    * The department listing doesn't show "Exercioxe Science"
>       or "Department of Exercise Science", even though about
>       1,000 papers use that exact phrase in their list of credentials.
>
>    * The link to the Help Center doesn't appear to be working.
>
>    * I can't find a physical education department or anything similar,
>       either.
>
>So I sent a note to the webmaster.
>Maybe I'll take a drive...

XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.    (04)

http://www.nexist.org/wiki/User0Blog    (05)