RE: [ba-unrev-talk] NYTimes.com Article: An Uncertain Trumpet

John,    (01)

Quoting from http://www.kmcluster.com, which, if I'm not mistaken, you founded:    (02)

"Open, frank dialogue, productive interactions and participant-led
community-of-practice are among the most effective means to advance KM and
enterprise collaboration for all organizations. "    (03)

I observe that you are certainly *frank* in the dialog you offer to the
unrev forum.  Productive? Not sure about that.  Clearly, I think, from the
*enterprise* point of view, which kmcluster seems to be all about, then
bashing the UN, heavy-handed *American* chest thumping, and all that seems
in order, and you, again, I think, seem to be doing that very well.    (04)

But, I must confess that I, perhaps wrongly so, think that the unrev forum
is a discussion about Douglas Engelbart's concerns for complex, urgent
problems. And, I think that Aldo is pointing out that those complex, urgent
problems are not best attended to when the *American* chest-thumping is the
loudest signal.  Maybe it's just my own, perhaps wrong-headed, opinion
that, when viewed from the Moon, we are less than ants running around in
ant hills; we aren't even visible, and therefore, we ought to be looking at
a much larger picture than one embraced from a purely *American* point of view.    (05)

I would therefore hazard the dangerous conjecture that it is not useful to
take a purely *American* enterprise point of view when trying to conduct
meaningful dialog in the spirit of Dr. Engelbart's vision; there must be
other forums that would better suit your needs.    (06)

Jack Park    (07)

At 10:33 AM 9/9/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Aldo,
>
>It is precisely the fawning over these foolish and counterproductive
>"discussion and negotiation structures" that causes and sustains severe
>problems.
>
>Look how Iraq treats the UN -- like the big, cruel JOKE it is, for
>example.
>
>How about moral relativism of the attack of Sept 11 -- actively debated
>at the UN in one of your dopey "discussion and negotiation structures"?
>
>How can you rationalized well-manicured executives at the World Bank,
>for example, offering up loans to corrupt leaders and their countries
>knowing FULL WELL they will NEVER be able to repay the principal? This
>egregious practice has sustained decades of poverty, destruction and
>death.
>
>Please don't be so naïve.
>
>This is not about withdraw, it simple, man-on-the-street, common sense.
>The only moral obligation the USA has is to Americans. If Americans, in
>turn, wish to participate as private citizens in the world community,
>they are welcome and encouraged.
>
>Again the UN, is a bloated, ineffective toothless tiger. It needs to be
>retired along with all its phony pretense and elites. One great
>suggestion is to move the whole mess off 1st Ave (and GVA) to Burkina
>Faso. Just see how much faster decisions would be made operating from
>Western Africa. It would be a miracle! (Besides, it would solve the
>parking problem.)
>
>-jtm

XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.    (09)

http://www.nexist.org/wiki/User0Blog    (010)