RE: [ba-unrev-talk] An approach to a simpler truth.

Eric Armstrong wrote
> I've long been intrigued by the notion of finding a rationalization
> for doing good to others that *wasn't* based on religion.
> A non-religious "do unto others" would make a big dent...    (01)

I don't understand why you would need any rationalization for doing good.
"If eyes were made for seeing then beauty is its own excuse for being",
virtue likewise. We're a sociable species. We just grew up in communities
much smaller than the one we find ourselves in now. Hence the need for the
unrev.    (02)

Lao Tzu said the three virtues were humility, moderation and love. No god
there. Watching most theists I feel a distinct lack of any of these. To be
fair that's more representative of the ones who get on TV - nothing more
televisual than a rabid, slobbering, homophobe calling down eternal
damnation on all who disagree with him. I'm reminded of Wittgenstein's
comment on some firestone and brimstone street preacher: "If he knew what he
was talking about he wouldn't use that tone of voice"    (03)

Graham the "lame-brained, pea-headed, son of a skunk with no more sense than
god gave a hammer"
but remember -
"When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a baby seal."    (04)