Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Fwd: [issues] Ockham's Razor

> Perfect description. But one thing the great philosopher Vin
> Diesel said at the Agora (aka Leno's place) was "invest in your
> dreams". And *that* appears to be the antidote to overspending.
>
> (Actually, he said "invest in yourself". But I've followed that
> advice for years. Unfortunately, it lets you pamper yourself to
> death, indulging any interest that comes along -- but "invest in
> your dreams" implies a focus on a goal, so that all expenditures
> dovetail to help you get where you want to go, and be who you want
> to be.)
> :_)    (01)

I feel 'invest in communication or relationship' works.
I believe in the theory that human being has two fundamental needs
to survive;
 *physiological needs; foods, house, various materials, etc.
 *communication needs
When we were poor and not enough food for the family, physiological
satisfaction (food for the dinner) brings family together and enhances
communication. Human being has so long not have enough things for basic
living, I think it is imbedded in our mind as a tacit knowledge that
material satisfaction brings better communication. Very recently,
it is not the case any more in the economically leading countries.    (02)

If there is only one TV in a family, communication is forced among the
family member to settle on the TV channels, but if everybody has a TV
in their room, you do not have to communicate anymore. The point is that
at a certain threshold beyond, physiologica satisfaction does not
necessarily enhance communication but rather it effectively results in
cutting the communication. Still our body(because of the tacit knowledge)
seeks material satisfaction which destroys communication which results
in seeking more materials.    (03)

I think now is the time to restructure the society based not on
physiological needs but on communication(mental needs), for which we will
need more conscious efforts. I think Doug's ABC, NIC and collective IQ
model addresses this.    (04)

Hirohide Yamada       (05)

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:47:40 -0700
Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@sun.com> wrote:    (06)