Re: [ba-unrev-talk] First S.F. Chronicle article on trans fats

Matthew Schneider wrote:
Certainly use of the Internet/Usenet/Web by "the average man" in the streets
play an increasingly important role . . .
No doubt the Internet can play an important role in the possible future of democracy. A further concluding thought in the summary of Rheingold's "Smart Mobs" (thanks for directing me to it) sets forth the problematic: it all depends on the use and control of it.
The way we use these technologies, and the way governments allow us to use them, is very much in question. Technologies of cooperation, or the ultimate disinfotainment apparatus? The next several years are a crucial and unusually malleable interregnum. Especially in this interval before the new media sphere settles into its final shape, what we know and what we do matters.
"Technologies of cooperation, or the ultimate disinfotainment apparatus." Your comment:
. . .that we remain vigilant and fight any effort to limit its
use
is exactly the point--or at least a vital part of it. Still, how we go about doing this is another. How we might put it to positive use in cooperation and collaboration is yet another.

Gary
200209232114.28723.matsch@sasites.com">