RE: [ba-unrev-talk] Where is Doug?

Mei Lin,    (01)

Thank you for the links.    (02)

I notice that the second one is identical to the first.  Please repost the
link for the 1992 paper.    (03)

	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-    (04)

I reread the Draft OHS Project Plan. I had forgotten this.  I notice that I
don't operate in reference to it.  I have some quick impressions, ones I may
have held back in the past:    (05)

1.  The OHS Project Plan is rather fixed, or seems so. In that it has an
implicit architecture and approach, and some details are stated.  It is like
here is what to build, but not enough grounding in what is being provided
and then what is the room for flexibility in achieving that.  This is an
impression, on a Thursday morning where I am fighting a cold.  I apologize
for not having a more-reasoned analysis.  But it is kind of like walking
into a richly-plotted movie in the middle. A difficulty I find is that I am
not sure what is essential and what is incidental or merely a suggested
implementation.  It's like the answer is already in hand.  So I've been
ignoring that or maybe even paying lip-service to it.  I'm enrolled in the
OHS concept but not so much that this is the form it has to take.    (06)

2.  I notice that there is a big assumption about translators and having an
intermediate form.  That's a major presumption, and the computer/information
science's track record at that sort of thing is not terribly great.  I am
interested in that aspect, but it is not clear that we have a good model for
working the legacy cases with much economy.  (I swear I raised this concern
before, but it might not have been here.)  In many ways, this could end up
the same as trying to solve the problem the semantic web is intended to
address.  I am personally not that confident about the prospects here.  (I
think a huddle between Doug and Terry Winograd might be valuable in this
context.)    (07)

3.  Well then, what is a lad to do.  I must be hanging out here for some
reason better than pissing on someone else's parade.    (08)

3.1 I think there is a lot of ground that has not been covered in supporting
collaborative work via the internet and digital resources. That's an
intellectual posture for me though, not one grounded in deep experience.
And I just have it that there is a pony in here somewhere.  And this forum
has people who have rich experience and many bright ideas.    (09)

3.2 The requirement for legacy support, publicly-owned specifications and
formats, and architectures that outlive their creators are all very
important.    (010)

3.3 It is when I step back and see what lights me up in this endeavor, it is
how it features in the eternal quest to know who we are, where we are, and
what's it about.  And the community of seekers is distributed over time (a
few thousand years at least) and space (this planet and orbital space, at
least).  The structure that holds our endeavors in existence is writing,
language, and culture, now expanding into cyberspace.  And it is with these
structures that we support the cooperative and coordinated activities of
human society, situating ourselves in the endless journey.    (011)

-- orcmid    (012)

Dennis E. Hamilton
http://NuovoDoc.com/
mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org