Re: [ba-unrev-talk] International Purple Numbering Standard?

FWIW, the "semantics" of the "purple numbers" in NexistWiki are profoundly
different than they have been in the implementations by Eugene Kim and
Murray Altheim.  In order to provide for an implementation of granular
addressability, my links point not to a page and xpath reference to the
object, but rather to a "home page" where the object itself resides.  From
that home page, it is possible to do a variety of things with the
referenced information resource: IBIS discussions, Appreciative Inquiry
discussions, ScholOnto-like cross referencing to other resources, version
control, transcluding, and more.    (01)

In some sense, there is a logical comparison that can be made between what
I do with NexistWiki, and that which Ted Nelson calls a Xanalogical
structure.  In Ted's description, everything goes into one very long
continuous character string and the Web page is really a "Virtual" page
that contains pointers into the long string.  The NexistWiki structure is
slightly different: everything is, indeed, separate from the Web page,
which is a "virtual" page containing pointers. But, the pointers are just
ID values of information resources which, themselves, are organized like a
stack of plates: most recent version on top. Versions in the Xanalogical
structure are just appendages to the string with revisions to the virtual
pointers. There may be a logical comparison with Doug Engelbart's Augment
structure as well, but I'm less versed on that structure.    (02)

Jack    (03)

At 10:26 PM 10/3/2002 +0100, Peter Jones wrote:
>Disclaimer: I can't believe this call hasn't been made before, but it seems
>worthwhile to make it again, if indeed I am repeating.
>
>In light of Matthew Schneider's recent work, and the many other great
>contributions to purple numbering from the likes of Eugene Kim, Murray
>Altheim,
>and many others... all brilliant, but with subtle variations in the numbering
>schemes...
>
>How about we develop an International Standard/Guidelines for Purple
>Numbering?
>
>--
>Peter    (04)

XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.    (05)

http://www.nexist.org/wiki/User0Blog    (06)