Re: Cultural v. Technical Solutions [was Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Re: Just the facts.]

To interject...    (01)

Actually I think the 'problem' revolves around the fact that people are people
and not machines. And as yet, most products that the computer hammer has
produced also have a tendency to hammer people into rectilinear molds too.
My point earlier is that most people aren't very logical, and almost all people
aren't logical all the time. More importantly people's lives don't run like
procedures.
That's not to say that computers haven't produced some cool things - like email
and Adobe Photoshop.
But, imho, what those tools do very effectively on the whole is to totally avoid
treating the human zone of the activity as anything other than that - as
something wobbly and spontaneous, flexible, furious, curious, colourful, and
passionate, etc.    (02)

It occurs to me that Doug's work rests on that interaction between the rigidly
functional box and the messy human.
The tendency at the moment is to hammer the person to act more like the box.
Business people like to think that that's the right way to think about it.
I personally wonder whether the gains are to be had in hammering the box out of
shape, at least insofar as it could help one with compensating for one's
messiness instead of just helping to [expletive] one's life up more.    (03)

I recently had someone type my National Insurance No. (Social Security #) into a
form incorrectly. The damn system propagated it to about 50 other govt.
databases. Three months on and I'm still waiting for them to sort the mess out.    (04)

--
Peter    (05)