Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Online Communities

Dennis.    (01)

You are right. Printing books on demand comes to about $15 (U.S.) a
piece.  I bought a copy of a friend's book ("A History of Media," by W.
Lambert Gardiner) for about Cnd $25 (=U.S. $16). Color on the cover; B&W
illustrations inside; 225 pages. Done by Trafford (www.trafford.com). My
guesstimate is that tis compares to roughly $35 -40 Cnd. had it been
published the conventional way. The savings lie in cutting out the
marketing and storage costs. Disadvantages (so far!): books not
advertised means little exposure to potential buyers; takes about a week
from order to delivery. Advantages: low cost, higher percentage to
author. The combination with on-Web publishing looks to be a winning one.    (02)

The publisher has the author's CD and workd from there. Making
corrections is as-you-go is, therefore, fairly easy.    (03)

A major issue I have with publishers that they produce their books for
"sales appeal" and, as we have seen from some comments by people on this
forum, readily override author's intentions. I realize when I made
critical comments about the Lambert-Osborne Java textbook, that the
authors had put in a lot of work, but question is, did the editors help
the authors doing a better job of bringing out their intentions or did
they just added enough of the text to appeal to casual browsers, etc.?    (04)

Somehow, here as well as in other areas of human endeavor, more emphasis
ought be on meeting desires, less on creating desires.    (05)

Henry    (06)

Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:    (07)