Re: [ba-unrev-talk] RE: Deschoolin Society / Creating Learning Communities

Yes, Dennis. There is much to be said in favor of our institutions and
personally I am inclined toward correcting the wrongs rather than dumping the
whole thing - a revolution played out over time. That goes for schools, for
governance, for marketing/consumer behavior, for law and the penal system, etc.,
etc.    (01)

School is a preparation for life in society, which, among a lot of things,
includes the inculcation of broadly held values. Looking at the world scene,
there is still so much to be agreed upon on that score.    (02)

A great thing about the school where I used to teach - a giant inner-city
college - was the mix of student backgrounds. In part this was by design, in
part by happenstance. The design was to have streams of pre-university students
and students in career programs mixing by having to take a number of the same
courses, notably in humanities and English. A (hidden) problem, I thought, was
the mostly middle-class background of the teaching staff and for many fairly
narrow personal experiences in the face of students from all nearly all social
strata and of a variety of races and cultures (many fairly fresh immigrants).
There was, unavoidably, a bit of one-fits-all set-up.    (03)

While individualized teaching undoubtedly has many merits, cross-layered social
interaction is also very important - especially in a world with increasing
blending of populations.    (04)

Best students were those of recent Asian background. They felt they owed it to
their parents to perform well. In turn, their parents paid much attention to the
kids' study habits. They exerted close supervision. The lesson here is that
education is a societal enterprise (through our institutions) as well as a
family affair (to say nothing of religious education, youth movements, Samba
schools, what-have-you). What ought be of concern is the pressure business puts
on its employees; this invariably takes away from attention to family and
society. I believe this is an issue that the captains of industry and industrial
management at all levels needs to be confronted with.    (05)

Unbridled competition is said to be a good thing, but that is a pretty mindless
opinion.    (06)

Henry    (07)

"Dennis E. Hamilton" wrote:    (08)