RE: [ba-unrev-talk] RE: Deschoolin Society / Creating Learning Communities

Here are some loose ends and links that I dug up as part of digging into
"Deschooling Society".    (01)

I discovered that the primary (only?) on-line source of "Deschooling
Society" has a defect at the end of Chapter 1, so the last page of that
chapter is incomplete.  Looking for a better copy, I discovered the
following material.  This paints an interesting picture.    (02)

1.	infed.org, "the home of informal education" has an encyclopedia entry on
Illich that also has useful related links.  I especially enjoyed the
http://www.infed.org/about_us.htm
page with its "Other FAQ" at the bottom.    (03)

The Illich biographical material is an eye-opener for me:    (04)

Smith, M. K. (2001) 'Ivan Illich: deschooling, conviality and the
possibilities for informal education and lifelong learning', the
encyclopedia of informal education,
http://www.infed.org/thinkers/et-illic.htm. Last updated: July 14, 2002    (05)

2.	The digital version of Deschooling Society seems easier than where I
started ("Tools for Conviviality").  However, the end of Chapter 1 is
abruptly cut off, so that page 24, the last of the chapter, is truncated.  I
haven't checked the other chapters yet.
http://philosophy.la.psu.edu/illich/deschool/index.html    (06)

The book is in print,
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0714508799/104-9744244-0907928
along with other Illich books.    (07)

3.	Ivan Illich: Energy and Equity
http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~ira/illich/texts/energy_and_equity/
is another on-line text.  There are a few others at this site, which nicely
supplements the material at Penn State.    (08)

4.	Social effects of motorized transport
  This argument in favor of the bicycle as one of the most effective means
of personal transport ever is eye-opening:
http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~ira/illich/facts/social_effects.html    (09)

4.	Getting back to education vs. schooling, here's an interested analysis
and discussion from someone committed to lifelong learning:
http://www.bbk.ac.uk/asd/view/view01.html    (010)

And an appraisal from a philosopher and educator
http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/philosophy/education/illich/schooling.html    (011)

5.	Some related topics to schooling include    (012)

5.1	A related talk by Patrick Farenga on Homeschooling, with impressive
anecdotal description of how homeschooling actually occured in the speaker's
family, in contrast to how it had to be reported to educational authorities.
http://www.holtgws.com/AltToEd.htm    (013)

5.2	A schoolteacher's blog that my search coughed up.  Very touching.  Very.
Great Shelley Berman quote.
http://llschoolj.blogspot.com/    (014)

5.3	And a description of the Cedarwood Sudbury School approach to education
http://www.cedarwoodsudbury.org/aboutus.html    (015)