Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Continuation of Doug's Colloquium

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Alatalo Toni wrote:    (01)

> the ideas from both of you seem interesting. the sidenote about Java
> (also the strong emphasis of it in Symphony) caught my eye:
>
> 1. why is Symphony "targeted solely at java developers"?
> i don't (need to :) ask why Stephen dislikes it, but do wonder:    (02)

You'll have to ask Gregory Rawlins, the guy who created the
design, for the complete answer (find him at the URL for
Symphony) but I would guess that it is a simple matter of trying
to maintain focus for the sake of developing the ideas. Once the
ideas are more solid they could be used in other systems.    (03)

Basically think of two tasks:    (04)

  - create a java based distributed peer to peer development
    environment with runtime class distribution between peers
  - create a language neutral version of the same thing    (05)

Which sounds harder?    (06)

--
Chris Dent  <cdent@burningchrome.com>  http://www.burningchrome.com/~cdent/
"If you assume that there is an instinct for freedom, that there are