Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Our Fragile World: Challenges, Opportunitiesfor Sustainable Development

Henry,

Based on the following email message:

March 25, 2003
[yak@collab] bleacher seats at PC Forum wik
, Andrius Kulikauskas, 15:20

I found a pointer to Organizing an economy for working openly. It's a link from the Center for Discourse - an interactive website of the Minciu Sodas laboratory.

Below is an excerpt that may lead to your solution for finding help to "revitalize" the Fleabyte website?

- John
"The milk of disruptive innovation doesn’t flow from cash-cows". David S. Isenberg
***********

An Economy for Giving Everything Away by Andrius Kulikauskas and David Ellison-Bey is a summary of our ideas so far. It ends with a proposal for four practical objectives:

Our most recent proposal, 2003.01.31, to the Chaordic Commons, is Market for Openly Sharing Work. It's the first part of a trilogy of proposals!

Henry K van Eyken wrote:
John.

Once again I must thank you - we all should thank you - for the wealth
of information you make available, information that appears very much to
bear on our current discussion.

As you well understand, information - to be socially effective - need
not only be accurate and available, we need to learn ways of making it
digestible and interesting to a wider public. (As interest grabber, it
must compete with the stuff supplied by, say, Sports Illustrated.)

Coming back to Fleabyte, I had hoped - still hope - that we could mold
it into a medium whose objective is to learn how ever better to "refine"
the information to become socially more useful/effective.

I have permission to name one recent volunteer who is willing to give
the project 20 hours a week of his time: Arifur Rahman of Bangladesh.
Would it not be wonderful if we could have a circle of co-operating
volunteers from around the Globe? We need journalists, editors, subject
experts, "integrators," educators, technical production people. etc.,
etc. Many hands ought to make light work, which brings up the need for a
new kind of coordinator/managing editor - and the need for softwares
that permit the needed cooperation. Of course, we also need sources of
funding for some permanent staff, but this definitely cannot be from
advertising. Not only may advertising income interfere with objectivity,
it is my opinion that the overabundance of commercial messages takes too
big a bit out of public attention that better be focussed on more
important matters.

Back to John's post again, the subject of ethics and technology. for
example, could easily use a volunteer for just this. He/she would lot of
studying, etc., yet the output of that might only be an occasional
couple of paragraphs in keeping with the need to render digestible, and
thereby effective, matter of the highest relevance. And to permit
correction, keeping things up-to-date, and pitching content to potential
usefulness. Think along the lines of Doug Engelbart's knowledge workers
manning frontier outposts.

Henry