From owner-ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org Sun Jun 1 03:03:59 2003 Return-Path: Delivered-To: ba-unrev-talk-list@bi0.bootstrap.org Received: by bi0.bootstrap.org (Postfix, from userid 2001) id A1FED57005; Sun, 1 Jun 2003 03:03:58 -0700 (PDT) Delivered-To: ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org Received: from mail.chariot.net.au (mail.chariot.net.au [203.87.95.38]) by bi0.bootstrap.org (Postfix) with SMTP id A94CF56FF5 for ; Sun, 1 Jun 2003 03:03:56 -0700 (PDT) Received: from chariot.net.au (async03.cs.adelaide.edu.au [129.127.11.3]) by mail.chariot.net.au (Postfix) with ESMTP id 05B72181246 for ; Sun, 1 Jun 2003 19:55:56 +0930 (CST) Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 19:56:03 +0930 Subject: Re: [ba-unrev-talk] ADM: THE KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT DESKTOP 2.0 JUST Released - FREE DOWNLOAD. Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed Mime-Version: 1.0 (Apple Message framework v552) From: stephen white To: ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit In-Reply-To: <20030517043521.49916.qmail@web13702.mail.yahoo.com> Message-Id: <725ED44E-941B-11D7-A1CF-000393B7D972@chariot.net.au> X-Mailer: Apple Mail (2.552) Sender: owner-ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org On Saturday, May 17, 2003, at 02:05 PM, ADM Staff wrote: > I wanted to let Eric Armstrong, Mei Lin, and other members of the list > know that our newly-released version 2.0 of the unique outliner-based > knowledge management program `ADM: The Knowledge Management Desktop' > is now available for free trial download. My immediate response is "where are the screenshots?", then I remember we've been through this before... you didn't post screenshots for your last release. Could I please emphasise the importance of having screenshots? I don't want to spend hours getting this going only to find out that it wasn't what I was after (which is more than likely the case - almost nothing offers what I want). -- spwhite@chariot.net.au From owner-ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org Sun Jun 1 13:00:35 2003 Return-Path: Delivered-To: ba-unrev-talk-list@bi0.bootstrap.org Received: by bi0.bootstrap.org (Postfix, from userid 2001) id 8EAF65700E; Sun, 1 Jun 2003 13:00:34 -0700 (PDT) Delivered-To: ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org Received: from aibo.runbox.com (cujo.runbox.com [193.71.199.138]) by bi0.bootstrap.org (Postfix) with SMTP id 50FBC57005 for ; Sun, 1 Jun 2003 13:00:32 -0700 (PDT) Received: from [10.9.9.15] (helo=odie.runbox.com) by lufsen.runbox.com with esmtp (Exim 4.14) id 19MZLY-0002G4-R0 for ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org; Sun, 01 Jun 2003 22:22:28 +0200 Received: from mail by odie.runbox.com with local (Exim 4.14) id 19MZLX-0004sV-Gw for ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org; Sun, 01 Jun 2003 22:22:27 +0200 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Disposition: inline Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MIME-Version: 1.0 From: "Malcolm Dean" To: ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org Subject: [ba-unrev-talk] SitRep Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 20:22:27 GMT X-Sender: 208678 X-Mailer: RMM Message-Id: X-Sender: unknown Sender: owner-ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org Possibly I've missed many postings, but this is one subscriber who has no s= ense of what's happening @ Bootstrap. Would you like to post a summary of a= ctivities and progress with the software initiative? Malcolm Dean Los Angeles From owner-ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org Mon Jun 2 00:27:52 2003 Return-Path: Delivered-To: ba-unrev-talk-list@bi0.bootstrap.org Received: by bi0.bootstrap.org (Postfix, from userid 2001) id DDB3F5700E; Mon, 2 Jun 2003 00:27:51 -0700 (PDT) Delivered-To: ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org Received: from albatross.mail.pas.earthlink.net (albatross.mail.pas.earthlink.net [207.217.120.120]) by bi0.bootstrap.org (Postfix) with SMTP id 953E356FF5 for ; Mon, 2 Jun 2003 00:27:50 -0700 (PDT) Received: from rowlf.psp.pas.earthlink.net ([207.217.78.187]) by albatross.mail.pas.earthlink.net with esmtp (Exim 3.33 #1) id 19Mk4l-00073y-00 for ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org; Mon, 02 Jun 2003 00:49:51 -0700 Received: from [207.217.78.15] by EarthlinkWAM via HTTP; Mon Jun 02 00:49:51 PDT 2003 Message-ID: <3904089.1054540191783.JavaMail.nobody@rowlf.psp.pas.earthlink.net> Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 00:38:51 -0700 (PDT) From: Mei Lin Fung To: ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org Subject: [ba-unrev-talk] SitRep Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: Earthlink Web Access Mail version 3.0 Sender: owner-ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org Dear Malcolm Thank you for asking. Here is the game plan for Planned Facilitated Evolution to boost collective capabity for coping with complex urgent problems. 1. Engagement: Create long term partnerships with Improvement Communities. 2. Collaboration: Work with private and public funding organizations to augment human capabilities for community improvement 3. Enabling Environment: 3 components a. Develop Frameowork of Open Source Tools b. Training and Application Support to introduce new tools c. Facilitate development of standards and governance for evolving communities and tools 4. Knowledge Building: Create Dynamic Knowledge Repositories (DKR's) allowing communities to CoDIAK _ Concurrently Develop, Integrate and Apply Knowledge 5. Convene: 2 components a. Create Workspace for communities that facilitate creation of DKR's b. Evolve workspaces so they enhance communities capability to improve Status: 1. Underway. Bootstrap Alliance is affiliated and actively working with the following organizations identified as improvement communities or proto-improvement communities: a. American Technology Alliances www.amtech_usa.org b. Software Productivity Consortium www.software.org c. Bootstrap Alliance's core technical partner is Dorai Thodla founder of www.imorph.com d. Acrossworlds - a World Bank partner www.acrossworld.com AmTech and Software.org are active on the Bootstrap Alliance Core Planning Committee. We meet weekly and have done so for the past 12-18 months. Dorai Thodla has been meeting regularly over the past 12 months with Doug to document the technical specification of the Hyperscope. This has been reviewed with the Board of Bootstrap Alliance in the past couple of months. Acrossworlds is working with us to engage with K4D - Knowledge for Development - the World Bank initiative to become a bank for developing Knowledge assets. Bootstrap Alliance has other affiliates who are also working with us. Most recently we have start to engage with CPSquare, the Community of Practice of Communities of Practice www.cpsquare.com They are particularly interesting to Bootstrap Alliance because they are the closest to a true Improvement Community for "improving community capability" that we have identified to date. 2. Seed funding for Hyperscope prototype in process of being secured. Currently in full court press search for funding for the next components of the Framework of Open Source Tools. 3. Framework of Open Source Tools defined as follows: I. Link to Legacy systems using familiar tools through DKR of open standard knowledge containers (XML-based) allowing people to freely navigate and integrate knowledge II. Database of Links to existing documents and source data so people can construct knowledge models (eg logical argument models extending well beyond existing contructs like today's spreadsheet and decision models). The knowledge models are conceived as building upon DKR's and able to be presented in views that are intended to be customizable and intended to be evolvable in ways that increasingly enhance both collective and personal understanding. III. Basic open architecture and application support that enables smooth transition to large-scale evolution of collective knowledge structures and system functionality. Status on this: I. use cases being developed. Idea is to bootstrap: We are working define a sequence of initial cases that provide enough value to user community that they convince community or funder or both, to fund next set of applications which enable the next series of use cases. II. Link Data base is turning out to be one of the most significantly new concepts that makes possible the whole idea of Link to Legacy data and knowledge. Doug's conception of Link types, Link Expressions and programmable links truly gives the promise of evolving ways to both build on legacy and "stand on the shoulders of giants" in terms of building on others knowledge structures. III. We have a way to go on this.... So that's where we are in early June 2003. Feel free to contact me personally if you are seriously interested in helping Doug at this pivotal time. I am located in Palo Alto. However, I will be in Boston from 6/5-6/8 this month if Boston unrevver's would like to get together to hear an "in person" update. Friday lunch time around MIT is a good possibility. if Bay Area "un revvers" would like to get together, let me know and I'll work to schedule something in mid June. Mei Lin -------Original Message------- From: Malcolm Dean Sent: 06/01/03 01:22 PM To: ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org Subject: [ba-unrev-talk] SitRep > > Possibly I've missed many postings, but this is one subscriber who has no sense of what's happening @ Bootstrap. Would you like to post a summary of activities and progress with the software initiative? Malcolm Dean Los Angeles > From owner-ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org Mon Jun 2 01:02:23 2003 Return-Path: Delivered-To: ba-unrev-talk-list@bi0.bootstrap.org Received: by bi0.bootstrap.org (Postfix, from userid 2001) id D5D715700E; Mon, 2 Jun 2003 01:02:22 -0700 (PDT) Delivered-To: ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org Received: from swan.mail.pas.earthlink.net (swan.mail.pas.earthlink.net [207.217.120.123]) by bi0.bootstrap.org (Postfix) with SMTP id 770B856FF5 for ; Mon, 2 Jun 2003 01:02:21 -0700 (PDT) Received: from dewey.psp.pas.earthlink.net ([207.217.78.219]) by swan.mail.pas.earthlink.net with esmtp (Exim 3.33 #1) id 19MkcA-0007ht-00 for ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org; Mon, 02 Jun 2003 01:24:22 -0700 Received: from [207.217.78.203] by EarthlinkWAM via HTTP; Mon Jun 02 01:24:22 PDT 2003 Message-ID: <1164900.1054542262727.JavaMail.nobody@dewey.psp.pas.earthlink.net> Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 01:13:18 -0700 (PDT) From: Mei Lin Fung To: ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org Subject: [ba-unrev-talk] Bootstrap Alliance Update Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: Earthlink Web Access Mail version 3.0 Sender: owner-ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org The Bootstrap Alliance was started by Doug and is centered around Doug Engelbart's core ideas. The Alliance is committed to implementing his vision in the way he wants to see it implemented. There are many on the OHS and Unrev list who are implementing Doug's vision the way they believe it is most effective and most likely to succeed. Within Bootstrap Alliance, Doug's way, no matter how difficult it might appear to be, is the way we are committed to take. We are discovering that the difficulty which Doug will not back off from, is that to get human-centric technology, we have to start with purposeful communities who are willing to tackle certain kinds of hard problems. What will it take to improve capability and what kinds of frameworks need to be put in place in order to evolve to the point where certain "too hard" problems become addressable. Finding these communities with the leadership that has the vision to do this has been the first task of the Bootstrap Alliance. >From time to time, others have approached Doug to get his support for what they are already doing, and are disappointed to hear that he is still occupied with what he is already doing. At 78, he has not stopped a single bit to relax. By sheer force of will, and enormous personal courage and integrity, he is still concentrating, undistracted on the 52 year quest he has been embarked upon, which he recently described as follows: "At 26, I set my lifetime goal. As much as possible, to boost humankind's collective capability for coping with complex urgent problems. In continous, dedicated pusuit for over 50 years, I have found it matters." At the Bootstrap Alliance, we are doing what we can to ensure that more of the vision of Engelbart is explicated and that he can have the dialogue that he wants to have, about the things that matter to him. With that said, here (repeated from earlier ba-unrev message subject "SitRep") is the Bootstrap Alliance game plan for Planned Facilitated Evolution to boost collective capability for coping with complex urgent problems. 1. Engagement: Create long term partnerships with Improvement Communities. 2. Collaboration: Work with private and public funding organizations to augment human capabilities for community improvement 3. Enabling Environment: 3 components a. Develop Frameowork of Open Source Tools b. Training and Application Support to introduce new tools c. Facilitate development of standards and governance for evolving communities and tools 4. Knowledge Building: Create Dynamic Knowledge Repositories (DKR's) allowing communities to CoDIAK _ Concurrently Develop, Integrate and Apply Knowledge 5. Convene: 2 components a. Create Workspace for communities that facilitate the creation of DKR's b. Evolve workspaces so they enhance communities' capability to improve Status: 1. Underway. Bootstrap Alliance is affiliated and actively working with the following organizations identified as improvement communities or proto-improvement communities: a. American Technology Alliances www.amtech_usa.org b. Software Productivity Consortium www.software.org c. Bootstrap Alliance's core technical partner is Dorai Thodla founder of www.imorph.com d. Acrossworlds - a World Bank partner www.acrossworld.com AmTech and Software.org are active on the Bootstrap Alliance Core Planning Committee. We meet weekly and have done so for the past 12-18 months. Dorai Thodla has been meeting regularly over the past 12 months with Doug to document the technical specification of the Hyperscope. This has been reviewed with the Board of Bootstrap Alliance in the past couple of months. Acrossworlds is working with us to engage with K4D - Knowledge for Development - the World Bank initiative to become a bank for developing Knowledge assets. Bootstrap Alliance has other affiliates who are also working with us. Most recently we have start to engage with CPSquare, the Community of Practice of Communities of Practice www.cpsquare.com They are particularly interesting to Bootstrap Alliance because they are the closest to a true Improvement Community for "improving community capability" that we have identified to date. 2. Seed funding for Hyperscope prototype is in the process of being secured. Currently in full court press search for funding for the next components of the Framework of Open Source Tools for improving Collective Capability. 3. The Framework of Open Source (OHS) Tools is defined as follows: I. Link to Legacy systems using familiar tools through DKR of open standard knowledge containers (XML-based) allowing people to freely navigate and integrate knowledge. Initially these knowledge containers in their first incarnation, are the things Doug has referred to as I-files or Intermediate files. II. Database of Links to existing documents and source data so people can construct knowledge models (eg logical argument models extending well beyond existing contructs like today's spreadsheet and decision models). The knowledge models are conceived as building upon DKR's and able to be presented in views that are intended to be customizable and intended to be evolvable in ways that increasingly enhance both collective and personal understanding. III. Basic open architecture and application support that enables smooth transition to large-scale evolution of collective knowledge structures and system functionality. Status on the Framework of Open Source Tools for improving collective capability. I. use cases being developed. Idea is to bootstrap: We are working to define a sequence of initial cases that provide enough value to the user community that they convince community or funder or both, to fund next set of applications which enable the next series of use cases. II. Link Data base is turning out to be one of the most significantly new concepts that makes possible the whole idea of Link to Legacy data and knowledge. Doug's conception of Link types, Link Expressions and programmable links truly gives the promise of evolving ways to both build on legacy and to "stand on the shoulders of giants" in terms of building on others knowledge structures. III. We have a way to go on this.... So that's where we are in early June 2003. Feel free to contact me personally if you are seriously interested in helping Doug on his terms, at this pivotal time. I am located in Palo Alto. However, I will be in Boston from 6/5-6/8 this month if Boston unrevver's would like to get together to hear an "in person" update. Friday lunch time around MIT is a good possibility. if Bay Area "unrevvers" would like to get together, let me know and I'll work to schedule something in mid June. Mei Lin