Re: [unrev-II] mark up languages

From: Tanya Jones (tanya@foresight.org)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 12:22:43 PST

From: "Tanya Jones" <tanya@foresight.org>

Here are two of the XML version 1.0 drafts:

>Monday, March 22, 1999 4:21 PM
> http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-xlink-req
on XML XLink Requirements

> http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-xptr-req
XML XPointer Requirements

I'm not certain if these fit the request of "the draft before the committee
got to it" but they certainly are interesting reading.

--Tanya Jones
tanya@foresight.org

>From: Jeff Miller <jeffm@dynamite.com.au>
>
>On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 12:30:56PM -0800, Eric Armstrong wrote:
>> From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>
>> Speaking of XML. At the end of 3rd session, Jon Bosak made the
>> intriguing statement that his original goal for XML was for use in
>> DKR-style projects, but that the original vision was reduced quite a bit
>> in committee, which produced XML as we know it. (Jon: Please correct any
>> inaccuracies.)
>
>Is it possible to get a copy of the draft before the committee got to it?
>
>> It could be that we need a KML (Knowledge Meta Language) to do an
>> adequate implementation of a DKR. I would be enthralled to hear Jon's
>> thoughts on the subject.
>
>The one problem that I see with these mark up languages, and it's minor,
>is the amount of space the mark up takes. Sometimes the markup is more
>than the contents of the document. What would be nice would be a standard
>way of compressing these documents for storage and transmission. May be we
>need a httpz (z as gzip).
>
>Jeff.

> Hey Freelancers: Find your next project through JobSwarm!
> You can even make money in your sleep by referring friends.

>Shortcut URL to this page:

FREE ADVICE FROM REAL PEOPLE! Xpertsite has thousands of experts who
are willing to answer your questions for FREE. Go to Xpertsite today
and put your mind to rest.