Re: [unrev-II] Hi, great, welcome, keep it up!

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 17:13:45 PST

From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>

Doug Engelbart - Bootstrap Institute wrote:

> ...I would comment that many things have emerged into my
> awareness about the difficulties of defining and resolving not only
> what we think are the key problems, but the difficulties also in
> recognizing and isolating them.

I just started reading some material I found on the IBIS system that
Dick Karpinski mentioned. It seems to be aimed at precisely this kind of
issue.

It starts by defining a "wicked" problem as one that isn't clear at the
outset, so you have to figure out as you go along -- with of course many
disparate viewpoints along the way.

Here are the references I've found to date. The first reference is a
good-looking
tutorial written by some folks who implemented an automated version of
the IBIS mechanism.
     http://www.gdss.com/IBIS.htm
     http://web.uvic.ca/~ckeep/hfl0104.html

BTW: Everyone knows you've got your hands full with the colloquium.
Most of expect to hear from you 7 weeks from now, when it's over.
:_)

Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa. ZERO. Rates as low as 0.0
percent Intro APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points, no hidden
fees, and much more. Get NextCard today and get the credit you deserve.
Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at