[unrev-II] XML and XLink

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 14:53:40 PST

From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>

Jon Bosak wrote:

> I'm afraid that I didn't express myself very clearly. The vision for
> XML was not at all reduced in committee. If anything, we ended up
> with too much functionality rather than too little.

Drat. I probably misunderstood. Thought a silver bullet might have been
sitting around somewhere.

> It's important to distinguish between XML and the other members of the
> XML family, in particular XLink/XPointer and XSL. The critical
> functionalities for a DKR are the ones in XLink/XPointer, but I think
> we're OK there.

The XLL specs (XLink/XPointer) do look good. (more below),

> I would recommend this tutorial for people interested in XML:
>
> http://metalab.unc.edu/bosak/tut/1999/06/ucsc/index.html

Another tutorial that is geared towards Java programmers, but which also

has an XML-only thread, is available at
    http://java.sun.com/xml/tutorial_intro.html

Here's the section on XLink from that page:

---
The XLink protocol is a proposed specification to handle links between
XML
documents. This specification allows for some pretty sophisticated
linking, including two-way links, links to multiple documents,
"expanding" links that insert the linked information into your document
rather than replacing your document with a new page, links between two
documents that are created in a third, independent document, and
indirect links (so you can point to an "address book" rather than
directly to the target document -- updating the address book then
automatically changes any links that use it).
---

The indirect links look particularly useful, as do the multiple-document links and expanding links.

One question, though: How do you establish link "types" in XML? For example: How do you mark a link to suggest that it should be traversed in a separate window, rather than in the same window?

GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 0.0 percent Intro or 9.9 percent Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW. <a href=" http://clickme.onelist.com/ad/NextcardCreative5CI ">Click Here</a>