[unrev-II] Slashdot.org; re-re-post, using plain text this time.

From: John \ (john.werneken@gte.net)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 21:24:21 PST

From: "John \"sb\" Werneken" <john.werneken@gte.net>

APOLOGIES. One-List seems to hate WORD as much as it hated Rich Text format;
trying Plain Text.

I should have said “first petrified Portman grits post” to cover the most
common inanity added to slashdot.org.

I’m neither a Linux-head nor a programmer nor a geek, so bear in mind that
slashdot.org is for me a major source of timely, accurate technology news,
but not exactly my home community. It IS exactly the home of self-defined
Linux programmer-geeks.

And it is a sort of DKR in its own way, so it might be worth a look. (Tip:
historically noted comments are to be found under the “hof”, for
‘hall-of-fame’, menu selection on Slashdot.)

Slashdot is like Onelist only much broader than a single one-list and far
more sophisticated. Aggregate user opinion ranks the input; individual users
can decide whether to take note of the ranking/vetting, and, if so, to what
extent.

Since it became Mega-popular, the number of posts intended only to attract
attention or to annoy has increased. The most common is a “first post” - a
response to something - that says nothing other than “first post” i.e. I
responded first. Comments about pouring hot grits down one’s pants identify
one regular contributor of nuisance posts, while references to petrifying
Natalie Portman (whoever that is - some woman who is well known, for being
well-known, I would suppose) identify another regular poster of
non-contributions.

Hard to describe "petrified Portman grits", ya gotta see it in its habitat:
slashdot.org postings.

Message: 7