RE: [unrev-II] Outpost Communities

From: Bernie DeKoven (bernie@dekoven.com)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 10:20:33 PST

From: "Bernie DeKoven" <bernie@dekoven.com>

My friend Dave Winer who is attending the Davos conference in Switzerland
has a serendipitous story to relate in his recent mailing.

"I wasn't sure that Clinton and I were talking about the same thing
  until Schwab asked him a question after his speech. "Mr. President,"
  Schwab said, "do you have a message for the business leaders here at
  Davos?"

  After a long pause he said "Find a shared vision." He expounded,
  telling the story of trade negotiations and economic imbalances
  between developed and developing nations. I felt he was stating the
  problems of the Internet industry using terms that made sense to him.
  My interpretation: Without a shared vision, something we agree on,
  growth can never really happen. As soon as a layer of progress is
  complete, the wars begin, and years of stagnation follow. This is the
  cycle of the software-slash-Internet industry, and it looks
  (thanks to patents, more on that later) as if we might be about to loop
  around once again. "

I guess our task, then, as we go about building the technical
infrastructure, might be to put it to use in the name of vision sharing.

----- http://www.CoWorking.com ----- Bernie DeKoven -----
http://www.DeepFun.com -----