Re: [unrev-II] Outpost Communities

From: Jeff Miller (jeffm@dynamite.com.au)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 13:53:58 PST

From: Jeff Miller <jeffm@dynamite.com.au>

On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 12:45:54PM -0600, Bill Bearden wrote:
> I mentioned Csikszentmihalyi's Flow and the Alexander Technique because I
> believed they didn't have a spiritual component. Perhaps my understanding of
> what is meant by "spirituality" is too limited. Maybe I don't understand
> your words "spiritually uplifting".

"Spirtuality" and similar word are just a bit too hit and miss these days.
Some people find a walk in the park spiritual, others associate it only
with churches. I'd I've to say, in the general sense, it's anything that
allows reflection.

> For me, Flow is about human motivation, one of the most powerful forces we
> know. And certainly the harnessing of this force would be a capability (to
> use Douglas' words) that would improve many other of our capabilities.
>
> F. M. Alexander's "Technique" is a method of teaching people improved "Use
> of Self". Alexander's goal was to overcome habit. Our bad habits constrain
> us. The capability to overcome habit would also possibly benefit other
> capabilities.

I'll have to take a look into this sometime.

But assumming it's suitable for what we wish to do here. How can we apply
it to software? It would be best if the user didn't have to know anything
about the techniques and, in fact, did realise they were using them.

Jeff.

Unique Valentine gifts, available now at eGroups.