Re: [unrev-II] DKR for Open Source: Viability

From: Jack Park (jackpark@verticalnet.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 08:42:19 PST

From: "Jack Park" <jackpark@verticalnet.com>

The xml-editor at
http://pikosoft.dragontiger.com/en/treenotes/index.html
has both a jar file and a tgz file. I managed to download the jar and open
it. The program appears to work just fine.

With regards to the avoidance of a database, my intuition suggests that a
structure needs to be created that supports the flat files suggested here.
Oracle 8i has this nifty feature (in theory; I've never experienced it in
its full monty incarnation) that anyone can access any file from any kind of
browser. Metalevel inference capabilities of this nature would be, IMHO,
very useful in DKR. Structure supporting powerful search routines can
easily be supported in a relational database. OSS steps in that direction
include:
http://www.linuxstart.com/~groovyjava/Database/
and
http://www.lynx.ch/Contacts/~/ThomasM/hSql.html which I think was mentioned
earlier on this list. Data itself can remain in flat files if desired.

Jack
> From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>

> I'm going to suggest that we avoid database storage.
> HTML took off, in part, because it was a plain text
> markup language instead of binary. That made it possible
> to see how it worked, as well it making it easier to
> debug.
>
> XML encoding will make things easier to debug, at a
> minimum -- although I doubt that it will be possible
> to gain a lot from looking at, it is still possible to
> convert data to a new version by writing simple text
> filters -- for example, to change an attribute name.
>
> For a small number of files, you could do that with the
> search and replace function in your text editor, rather
> than requiring some special function.
>
> Then, too, documents on your system can be searched and
> indexed by a variety of utilities if they are in plain
> text. That makes it easier for others to add utilities
> to the system.
>
> For all these reasons, then, I'm a proponent of plain
> text storage.

Valentine's Day Shopping Made Simple.