Re: [unrev-II] OHS: Functional Overview

From: John J. Deneen (jjdeneen@ricochet.net)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 13:57:50 PST

From: "John J. Deneen" <jjdeneen@ricochet.net>

Hi- David,

Last Tuesday, I introduced to the members of the "Unfinished Revolution"
colloquium with Doug Engelbart at Stanford University a brief background of
Netsystem/NetForum for virtual high-performance team applications. Can you
contact Doug to discuss and demostrate how it relates to his Open Hyperdocument
Systems (OHS) enabling technology ? Also, is there a way we can contact Barbara
Davis for inviting her to join the colloquium ?

Thank you,
John Deneen
(925) 229-1858

                                                      Bootstrap Institute
                                         6505 Kaiser Drive, Fremont, CA 94555
                        Phone: (510)713-3550 Fax: (510)792-3506 Email:
info@bootstrap.org
                                        Website: http://www.bootstrap.org/

Eric Armstrong wrote:

> From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>
>
> This post takes a look at how a system which integrates
> email and document management would work. If we agree
> that the system has to operate in this way, we can proceed
> with a more detailed functional spec, and then design.
>
> On the *other* hand:
> * The system developed below seems pretty complex.
> Is there any way to simplify it?
>
> * Is there any way to use existing tools and applications,
> rather than writing everything from scratch?
>
> Summary
> -------
> The Open HyperDocument System (OHS) that serves as precursor to a
> true Dynamic Knowledge Repository (DKR) will need to integrate
> email and document management into a smoothly functioning whole
> that has not heretofore existed (except, I suspect, within the
> framework of Augment).
>
> To do so, it will need to combine hierarchical structuring,
> document linking, versioning, differencing, and author-attribution.
>
> Functional Overview
> -------------------
> The remainder of this post discusses the various operations that
> go in such a system, namely:
> * Authoring Documents
> * Receiving Documents
> * Browsing Documents
> * Responding to Documents
> * Receiving Responses
> * Revising Documents
> * Receiving New Versions
> * Backpedalling
>
> Note:
> I am still presuming XML as the underlying implementation.
> To keep the design space open, though, for "XML" read
> "hierarchical, document storage mechanism with robust linking
> capabilities".
>
> Authoring Documents
> -------------------
> You are working in an XML-editor of some kind, operating on a
> hierarchically
> structured document to which you can add links. Every change you make
> is time-stamped or given a unique internal version number. Every node
> you create lists you as its author.
>
> At certain points, you may "revmark" or "checkpoint" the document,
> to fix an externally visible version number (e.g. 1.2). An "undo"
> operation lets you take back changes to the start of the version.
> A "prev version" operation lets you go back to an earlier version.
> (You may or may not be able to undo the changes to that version,
> depending on the implementation.) When the document is ready for
> review, you post it to others.
>
> Receiving Documents
> -------------------
> When you receive a new document, it is stored in your file system at
> a location you have designated. It can then be treated like any other
> read-only XML document on your system. (You can always edit a copy,
> but the original generally remains untouched.)
>
> Browsing Documents
> [...]

Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa. Rates as low as 2.9 percent
Intro or 9.9 percent Fixed APR, online balance transfers, Rewards
Points, no hidden fees, and much more. Get NextCard today and get the
credit you deserve. Apply now. Get your NextCard Visa at